Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 and 9 hour ribs

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
put some baby backs on yeaterday at 6:30. went fishing with the boys, back at maybe 10:30. foiled them (haven't foiled in a while) for an hour with a couple apple juice juice-boxes i stole from the kids' cooler (for the fourth of july cookout).

expecting folks around noon, figured we'd eat at 1 or 1:30.

at 11:30 or noon, after an hour to hour-and-a-half (don't remember), i took them out of the foil. they went back on, and sat there til maybe 1:30, 2 o'clock before folks were arriving and feeling ready to eat. thinking they were past-prime, i shrugged and served them after about 8 hours at 250.

they were the second-best i think we've ever done. the best we'd ever done were spares that were on about 9 hours at 250 (no foiling). and the other memorable ones were spares that i sweated out for easily another 8 or 9 hours. i usually expect (and have done) 3-1-1 ribs with excellent results.

so.

is this a result of the common comment that "they are done when they are done", or do some folks here also find better results with much longer than expected times? ...saw a food network show where some locally famous southern bbq roadside shack does 12 hours at 250 (spares, i think).

for reference, these were pull-clean-from-the-bone with a tug, not overcooked (fall-off the bone).

is this normal, or do i need to check my thermometer calibration? hahaha sorry, no pics. too many unintiated folks at the table who wouldn't understand.

FWIW, did some fresh pineapple spears (marinated in coconut rum and brown sugar overnight). had some at the NE eggfest. rave reviews.
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    stike,

I am with you, man. Ever since I got really lazy and stopped foiling and just putting the ribs on and leaving them indirect until they were "done," I found that I was leaving them on longer and longer. I think the last batch I did was on around 7 hours at 225 cooking grid level (about 250 dome). Again, as you said, they were pull-off-the-bone done. Also, I've found that if you do meatier ribs they just simply take longer (and I usually try to find the thicker ones).

I think these went seven hours.

xmas07ribs_1_web2.jpg

Jason
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Hi Stike, I've left ribs on the egg, waiting for folks to show up, and the ribs never suffered, maybe even benefitted. As long as they are on low heat and spritzed, they seemed to be fine. Infact, the last batch that I cooked, were on for about 7.5 hrs @ 225F(stoker), and they were really good. HTH.
  • stike
    Options
    my wife got b-backs, and grabbed the heaviest package they had. all packages were three slabs each. i must admit, these were very meaty and good. i usually go with spares, and pooh-pooh the loin back ribs. but they were good.
  • stike
    Options
    interesting...

i mentioned before that the best ribs ever achieved were a result of completely "screwing up". i had planned an overnight butt cook, followed by the ribs the next day.

i swear i was not drunk... but when i went to put the butt on around 10pm, i also put the ribs on. 250. then i hit the sack.
    zzzzz and awaken at maybe 7am. they were already on for 9 hours. holy crap what an idiot i am. man, they are going to be ruined.

my wife walked in the kitchen looking for coffee, and i'm standing there mmm mmmm mmmmm over the sink eating rib after rib. i told her, grab a cup of coffee and some ribs. they were still the best dry ribs i ever did. i thought it was an accident.

but like yesterday, every time something happens to keep the ribs on (like late-arriving guests for the fourth of july), the ribs have been BETTER for it.

i have been paying close attention, and they just do not start to get bendy for me until 7 hours in the last few times.

...really wondering about my dome thermo being too low!
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    I cooked 6 slabs yesterday. I got them to fit by cutting them in half and standing them up in a rib rack.

Used the 3-1-1 method. After 5 hours 2 halves were done, 2 were close, and the other 8 were just beginning to show signs of pulling back. But I simply ran out of time and took everything off.

I have leftover racks wrapped in foil and sitting in the fridge. I might relight the lump and throw the racks back on for another hour or two.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Sounds like breakfast of champions! I haven't cooked any sauced ribs, yet so I know it's not additional sauce. I think you're right about the longer cook. I know my therms are accurate. And then again, it may come down to personal taste.
  • stike
    Options
    ...none of the long-time forum members have any thoughts on why ribs might be taking so long.

they usually have an opinion on anything.

hahaha
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Must be global warming ;)