Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Re-Warming Pulled Pork

Options
Dan in StL
Dan in StL Posts: 254
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have large crew coming for for BBQ and explosions today. Started the butt last night - it's now close to 190 and it should be ready to come off fairly soon. I'll let it rest wrapped in foil and towels in a cooler for a while. But I figure I'm going to need to refrigerate it and re-warm it before it's time to eat (around 5:00 Central time).

I've read where pulling it, putting it in gallon size zip lock bags, and refrigerate it. Then when it's go time, add either Coke or apple juice to it, and warm it by placing the bag in boiling water.

My question (finally) is 1)Regarding experiences and preferences between Coke and apple juice; and 2)The amount of liquid used. I'm assuming it's no more than a splash, but would just like some re-assurance.

Thanks!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I frequently use and therefore recommend the Coke method - but take it out of the plastic bag! Rule of thumb I use is one 12 oz can of original Coca-Cola per 3 or 4 pounds and rewarmed in either a crock pot or in a pan. The Coke will NOT leave an aftertaste and instead prevents that crappy warmed over meat taste! Just don't tell your guests as they will get a preconceived idea that it will taste like Coke! Just remember to stir for even distribution and heating. Good luck!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    A splash or two should be enough. Just add enough to make it look moist. Don't want it swimming in liquid.