Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lifting Tools

DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I do a reverse sear, I always find myself in a shaky position trying to lift a hot plate setter out of my egg.

With all the great tools that some have invented, does anyone know of one that will quickly and safely lift the plate setter out of a medium egg?

Comments

• WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    I have used thick welders gloves and they work ok but you can't hold the plate setter for too long or the leather starts to burn and harden. I have seen others post that they used silicone baking mitts but I avoid those since most are only rated up to 400-550 and the plate setter gets much hotter on some of my cooks.

You don't want to use anything cold or wet as it might crack the stone, and you have to make sure the plate setter is evenly supported or you risk breaking a leg off. Someone needs to invent a 3-pronged grabber device which will hold it on all 3 sides and allow you to gently but safely lift it out. I might make one this weekend up in the shop. Already have the design in mind, just need to cut it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i find the platesetter is not really needed at roasting temps, i just do the cook on a really raised grill direct or with a grill sitting on a pan for fatty meats like a prime rib. steaks go direct from beginning to end, even pit beef or deli beef cooks go direct for me.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DynaGreaseball
    If you get the prototype to work, I want one. Was thinking about a three pronged one also, maybe with a spring handle in the middle that, when lifted, somehow makes the lifting prongs clamp tightly on the top and bottom of the platesetter--or not.
  • DynaGreaseball
    ...and there's no difference with or without the platesetter?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I do it all the time with these 500° Orkas.
    IMG_0327.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    depends what temp you are roasting at.

if you are up on the raised grid, and low enough (300 or less), you won't really get any sear from being direct.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Put me on the list too. I'd be interested.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i use firebricks and pizza stones as i dont own a platesetter but for what its worth that extra mass doesnt do much in my opinion unless your trying to hold say 500 degree baking temps for breads or pizza. i do alot of direct grilling and even big roasts done high in the dome do fine direct, i might just drop the dome temp down a little compared to an inderect cook. i do use a paella pan under a fatty roast like a prime rib if its got a lot of fat, but some rib roasts arent that fatty and i still put them on direct.
    DSC_0109.jpg
    tritip cooked direct at about 350/375

100_1400.jpg

100_1405.jpg
    some kinda stuffed flank steak someone brought over

fbe40804.jpg
    big 10 pound plus rump roast cooked direct at 275 for deli beef

2004_1230Image0013.jpg
    lamb trexed direct
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    I have a lifting tool being fabricated now. As soon as it is done I will post a picture.

Jimmy
    Come visit NOLA
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    My ridding partner who is a weilder made this for me. All I use on my medium.
    LastwkFEB08017.jpg

LastwkFEB08030.jpg
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    For a reverse sear, I light the fire in the back of the cooker and place the steaks toward the front -- usually at about 250-275.

Then I open everything up and kick up the temp -- usually using my wiggle rod to be sure the vent holes are open.

I never use the plate setter.
  • DynaGreaseball
    That's the tool that prompted me to ask about a similar one, but for a plate setter instead of the grid. My ash tool works great for my grid. It's the plate setter that gives me so much trouble.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Great! Can't wait to see it. Hope you remember me. I check in about once or twice a day, so maybe I won't miss it when you post. Thanks
  • that's what i use to lift a hot plate setter and or pizza stone also. you can hold it forever with a pair of those, no problem

i thought mine said 600 degrees
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    I second the ORKAs.

I have a pair myself and use them all the time.

Greg
  • WileECoyote
    I have seen the orkas rated at 480, 500, and 600 degrees F depending on where you look. They were made by iSi North America and are supposedly discontinued but the iSi site doesn't have much info on them. It seems that they made several models and the earlier models may have had a lower temp range.

I would be interested in trying the orka for the grill, pizza stone, and plate setter but only if I can find documentation from the manufacturer which confirms the 600 F rating. The stones often get up to 550 or more and these products are typically not rated for use at their top temperature for more than a few seconds. Unfortunately none of the sites include a document from the manufacturer so I am still wondering about the max temp. and how long the orkas could hold up at max temp.

Has anyone used the orka to handle a hot cast iron grid or plate setter above 500 for more than 10-20 seconds? If so, did the orka show any signs of melting or deformity? Did it come with instructions which mention a max temp? I assume your hands would still feel the heat pretty quickly, just like you do with welding gloves.

Amazon seems to have a lot of the orkas starting around $15 for one 11" mitt. This online store has the 11" mitt for $10 but I am not sure about their S/H. If they work then I would like a 17" pair in black but those are more $$ so maybe I will just stick with a custom tool to remove the stones. I already use a pair of channel locks on the grate and it works fine.
  • dude, i will give you $30 to go get some orkas.

trust me, they work fine. get them cheap at tuesday morning or bed, bath & beyond with the 20% off coupon.

while you're at it, get yourself a thirdeye thirdhand grid lifter and put your tools back in the toolbox.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Well, it is not that big of a risk at $15, especially with everyone's testimony from this site.

The product is great. I have picked up 600 degree pizza stones with them.

Greg
  • WileECoyote
    Sounds like the orkas will work ok. It isn't the price I mind, it is the idea of melting them or burning my hand. I sometimes need to carry the plater setter 20'-30' across the patio before setting it down, or hold it while I make room on the table or clean it. So I don't want to worry about the gloves melting, scorching, or burning me. If you all have picked up 600+ stones and held for at least 20-30 seconds with no damage to the orka or your hand then it sounds like the glove for me.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Try it, I think you will like it.

I originally tried to use a Pampered Chef grill glove to pick up a hot platesetter only at 300. I almost lost the hand.

The ORKAs are great.

Greg
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    x2 - Linens & Things has them too..that's where the bride says she bought mine - and a hot place setter is NO SWEAT with these bad boys.

Rick's Tropical Delight wrote:
    dude, i will give you $30 to go get some orkas.

trust me, they work fine. get them cheap at tuesday morning or bed, bath & beyond with the 20% off coupon.

while you're at it, get yourself a thirdeye thirdhand grid lifter and put your tools back in the toolbox.
  • WileECoyote
    LOL - what timing!

Just seasoning some new cast iron pans tonight so had them on the egg at 700+ for about 90 minutes... just now picked them up with the heavy leather welders gloves (which are pretty thick) and didn't make it even 5 seconds before I could feel the heat on my fingers and the gloves were smoking really bad...

I am looking for some orkas now but I bet that even they wouldn't handle 700+ cast iron for very long...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Soon after I bought those Orka's based on recommendations here I was in a competition cook where most people were using gas grills or a Weber. We had to leave the parking lot soon after which was easy-peasy for gassers and dump-it-out Webers vs. my HOT BGEs. Well, I used my Orka's to scoop out all of the hot burning lump in to a new galvanized bucket initially piece by piece thinking the Orka's would melt. Seeing no problem I cleaned my BGEs by the handfuls though the hot coals ruined the bucket! The last time I used a brand new pair of expensive welder's gloves to remove a hot plate setter they hurt my hands and turned the red leather fingers to black smelly crap and while I still have those burnt gloves (for some reason) I have never used them again!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • i'm not sure that will convince them.

if you look at the ridges on the gripping parts of the glove, you'll see how it dissipates the heat.

i guess i need to get a photo of me holding the plate setter with a temp gage on it and then time how long i can stand it :side:

i've two pairs of welding gloves and an ove glove and don't use them for hot plate setters and pizza stones. get two orkas and forget about it
  • WileECoyote
    I am sold. I am now in search of the best deal on two 17" black orkas.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Please let us know how you like them.

Everyone really likes to know about a product that works.

Greg
  • DynaGreaseball
    Thanks for all the recommendations. I guess these gloves are the reason no one has tried to invent a lifting tool. Sounds like the way to go.
  • WileECoyote
    I just came across a great deal on the Orka 17" mitt in black. It is rated up to 600 F so it should be fine for hot grills, plate setters, pizza stones, etc. I picked up a few extras and will sell them to any interested forum members as a favor while supplies last.

Cost is $15 for one mitt which includes free shipping to anywhere in the US. The larger 17" size typically sells for $25 to $45 plus shipping on Amazon and other sites so this is a great deal.