Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

08 vs. previous firebox

Options
Cheyco
Cheyco Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How can I confirm which LBGE I have? I bought it at a dealer which doesn't really have a high rate of turnaround on product and I was wondering if one of you could help me out before I order a spider.

BTW, this site is awesome, and I'm completely addicted to egging!

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Are you asking what size egg you have?
  • Cheyco
    Options
    No, I'm asking how to tell if I have an '08 Large or the previous model.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Glad you are enjoying the egg. If you like, email me off the forum and I'm happy to help you. I make the spider. my email is acgpinc@verizon.net

It's the fire ring we need to consider and not the firebox.

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Oh I see. The only difference I know of with the new fireboxes is the little tabs near the bottom that makes the charcoal grate sit a little higher so air flows between the edge of the charcoal grate and the firebox for better airflow. I am not aware of any difference that would affect a spider. But I don't know everything.
  • EggME
    EggME Posts: 116
    Options
    I would also be interested in knowing how you tell which egg you have. I have a large that I bought in 08 but my dealer also has slow turnover.

Could you post how to tell the difference on here?

Thanks

Pam
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    As I understand it the newer fire rings are thicker which makes the bends in the older spiders a tough fit.
  • Cheyco
    Options
    "you need to measure the inside diameter of the fire ring. Measure at the top of the fire ring, near the dimples. If the inside diameter measurement is a smidge short of 16 inches, then the original fire ring will fit. If the measurement is approx. 15-5/8 inches, then you need the 08 spider. Measure across a couple spots, cause most fire rings are not true round." - tjv

This is what tjv sent me in our off-forum corespondence.