Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring Chicken-inspired cook tonight :)

Options
Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks, Leroy! I saw your cast iron griddle in the pic you did for the salmon the other day, so I broke out mine and did the same. I was originally going to lop the ears off the grill pan so that it would sit in the spider better, but I copied your method of just setting it down on the grid, and it got plenty hot!

Here are the before and after pics:
IMG_1414.jpg
IMG_1415.jpg

400° for 8 min total--perfect! I cut up the whole filet into smaller pieces so that I could experiment with the seasonings (Old Bay, Tsunami Spin, and Raging River.) Didn't tell the wife which was which, either, until she sampled them all.

After I was done cooking, I flipped the grill pan over to burn off all the residue, and when that was done, I cooked some burgers for the kids and some of their friends from the neighborhood. They really take on a different character compared to the direct flame. I'll definitely be cooking more on that pan--it's really versatile with the flat and raised cooking surfaces.

Thanks again for the inspiration on the forum!

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Nice one Mike. Fish is a favorite of the wifes. Looks like I'm gonna have to add a griddle to the pan collection.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I have this uncontrollable urge to say "I told you so." LOL...

Those look great.

You're right though, it does give a different flavor and texture doing it this way.

One of these days I'm going to try a real high-dollar juicy steak on the ribbed side. I did a flank steak and spaghetti squash one time. Also, panini's, eggs, bacon, sausage. waffles and pancakes. Breakfast is fun using the griddle.

FlankSteakwithSpaghettiSquash3.jpg

LonelyTexasWaffle.jpg

SpringHenChickensPaniniMuffelotto.jpg

BaconEggSausageonGriddle.jpg

PancakesEggandbaconongriddle.jpg

That griddle was one of the best $7.00 I've spent on Eggcessories.

Spring "Griddle In The Middle" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Mr. Leroy,

I couldn't quite figure out what you're using to support the griddle in some of your pics...it's certainly not tjv's spider, and they somewhat resemble Chubby's grate mates. Are those custom-built? I was thinking about removing the ears so that it would fit in the spider better. But, I really had good success with it up at the standard grid level.

Thanks!
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    It's one of the very first versions of the Spider. TJV got us Eggcited about Wok cooking and made some Wok Rings. They work for a lot of things besides Woks.

WokRing1.jpg

WokinBGE.jpg

Chubby's GrateMates also has a similar ring for a small Egg.

Spring "Wok'n Good Time" Chicken
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Man that looks good. I got talopia, salmon, and tuna in freezer just waiting to be Egged. Problem is I'm running out of time. Took the rear tire off Hog and had a new rear tire put on today. Long story short shop went threw 2 tubes before he got one to hold (Pinched 2 of them and never seen him pinch any before), got it home and put back on and lined up so took it for a spin. Didn't make 20 feet b4 realized this one was flat. Called him up and was out of tubes so I had to call dealer in Monroe and get two tubes shotgunned in overnight in case another one gets pinched. Running out of time with the 4th and leaving Tuesday at 5am. pluse working every day 12 hrs between now and Monday. I do not need this agrivation. Must cook some'en to lower my stress level with a Hello Kitty limonaid!! :laugh:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    I got the lemonade covered for ya...hope that you can get the bike rolling soon, my friend! Smart call getting two sent over just in case :ohmy: