Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Egg

Options
emilluca
emilluca Posts: 673
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a mini egg and really not pleased with it's performance compared to the large egg i own. I tried baby back ribs as a first cook and they burned badly because I could not control the heat. There is no top cap on the mini only the snuffer. I almost bought a mini as a first egg. I am glad I did not it would have turned me off other eggs.
Am I missing something on using a mini?
As I see now it will be used to grill corn and vegetables.

Thanks
Emil

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    The mini comes with a dual function metal top just like all the other sizes. Contact whomever you bought it from......you got short-changed!
  • emilluca
    Options
    Will do the thermometer was also not in the box. The box was sealed. Not sure what happened.
  • Rob N
    Rob N Posts: 4
    Options
    I had the same happen when I bought my small egg. I realized you need to buy the egg as a kit to get the temp guage and the daisy wheel. I bought the egg only ... then ordered the other stuff (daisy wheel temp guage and also plate setter) online when I realized my mistake.

Hope this helps. Give your dealer a call to make sure.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    emil,
    your mini should have come with a dual function metal top. scroll down to bens first egg cook.
    you can do lots on the mini but indirect requires some ingenuity.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=466268&catid=1

link is recent post of most of my mini pics. i also did beef shorts 5.5 hours 1 load of lump

don't give up on the mini
    bill
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    I really like the mini, but wonder why (and how) you did your ribs n the mini?

I use my mini two or three times a week, but almost exclusively for grilling (hot dogs, chicken, steaks and such). I have a 8 inch pizza stone and tried a small butt once (indirect, just to say I could). It was a lot of work and not worth the effort. At an Eggtoberfest, several years ago, someone did a whole rack of ribs on the mini (they were rolled up and skewered). If memory serves me, they were good.

Tuna Steak on Mini
    PB140018.jpg?t=1214830420

Salmon done on the mini
    P1240016.jpg
  • emilluca
    Options
    I just talked to the dealer on the phone and he is going to check on it. He did supply me with a thermometer when it was not in the box. Hopefully I will get a daisy wheel lid by the 4th to show off both the mini and the large egg for the family members.
    Thanks.
    PS what do you use as a platesetter? Fire brick?
  • emilluca
    Options
    The baby back rib was cut into 2 rib sections [7 pieces] and just fit on the mini. I do need a way to do indirect heat on the mini. Maybe firebrick or a small pizza stone, Any suggestion appreciated.
    Emil
  • emilluca
    Options
    The why is because Kroger had a good sale on baby back ribs and I don't eat beef. I will do some homemade turkey/pork mixed brats for the 4th once I get them made and stuffed. I bought the mini because I needed the room for the extra stuff grilled peppers/onions/squash etc. When I use the large I fill it up. The mini will be for meals for the wife and I. The large for family gatherings and friends over.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i used a piece of soap stone, others have used a hunk of broken plate setter or pizza stone ground down to shape. also suspending a pie pan under the grid has been done, i use the pan and the little grid over it as in the cheese pic. my next experiment will be cookie tin lid suspended below the grid and filled with clean pebbles or sand also i want to get a ceramic tile and grind it down to size. thinner than the soap stone but i do not know if it will take the heat. hope this helps hate to see mini frustration .
    bill

mini012.jpg

mini014.jpg
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    I have a 2nd grill. I placed the pizza stone on the main grill, then a disporable pie tin (wit beer in it) on the stone. Then the 2nd grill on the pie tin for the ribs (or whatever).

Also, I don't know if the daisy wheel top comes with the mini. It depends on your dealer and the price (I don't have one).
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I use a modified pizza stone a buddy from Omaha made for me.

MiniPlateSetter.jpg
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    My mini did not come with a daisy, though I bought it a few years ago and I believe it had been in inventory for several years at that time.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    That is slick Egret! I would love to track one of those down! We have only cooked once on the mini, last night and it worked fine. it came with the daisy wheel and the temp and the ceramic top. we did not get the stand as we had stuff that would work. It sits in the turkey fryer base right now till the new table is built. but it lit fine and came up to temp fast and held right where we wanted it to. or maybe that is just where it wanted to be :) We will see to night as it will be working with the small and the large. LOL Julie