Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring assisted metal band

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My metal band came loose and when I tightened it back I have a gap between the top and the base towards the back side of the egg. How can I get this gap closed? Smoke comes out the sides when I cook now.
I have also put a new gasket on and still have a little gap.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Tim Duren,[p]If you have any gasket left, you can cut a small piece to double up the gasket in the gap area. I have done this on a couple cookers and it works fine. The gasket material needs to be new or clean so the second layer sticks to it. [p]Tighten the bands so they NEVER come loose again. The bolts will bend a little.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]timmys website[/ul]
  • Dutch
    Dutch Posts: 21
    Options
    Tim Duren,I had the same problem last week when I replaced a broken dome and installed the new spring assisted band.One of the regulars on the forum suggested to light a small fire, throw a little wet wood to create smoke, close the dome, loosen both upper and lower bands and let the dome settle on the base.if smoke still appears press on top of the dome and tighten up the top band and follow up tightening the lower one. When I followed his suggestion, the smoke no longer escaped and the dome and the bottum were properly seated.