Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt Ends

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok i am doing my first full packer brisket.. it was not one of the huge packers weighing in at 11 lbs.. so tomorrow we are going out on a house boat on Lake Hartwell and i am planning on taking the flat of this brisket.. i hope to seperate the point (i know it is not very big) but reading Thirdeye's burnt ends write up it says nothing about cooking the point later is there anything i need or should do before i put the point into a foodsaver bag.... also i will be leaving after seperation.. so how long and what temp should i finish the burnt ends....

thanks from a brisket dummy :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Are you cooking both at the same time? Confused.
    Point seperated from flat after cooking.
    73brisket4.jpg
    Point diced up and put in foil.
    burntends1.jpg

Mike
  • BENTE
    Options
    yes i am cooking at the same time (sorry for the confusion).. so i am going to seperate, put flat into cooler, point into food saver bag, and leave... so what the heck should i do to get good burnt ends?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Just finish rendering the fat out. You have mad skills, and I have faith in you.
    You know, to many people really serve "Burnt Ends". Jack Stack is KC absolutely sucks. They are burnt and unedible. You have a good bark, just get the rest of it tender. Foil and bbq sauce will help. IMHO that is good burnt ends.

Mike
  • BENTE
    Options
    i did and when i read it it said that they used to that and keep the points to make a big batch later in the week... but it did not explain how to do it later in the week.... so now we are back to my original question how do i make burnt ends later ;) there was no time or any temp. i took it as if you make burnt ends you make them now!!! i need to make them later ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    so when i seperate them how is the best way to reheat them to something that will pass.. i am not going to drop in boiling water like i do with pp... or should i??? before resmoking... i know i am being anal but i have not even tasted a brisket in a bbq joint (besides famous daves). let alone burnt ends... can you imagin the look on someone's face here in S.C. if i asked for burnt ends.. they would give me the hoofs and snouts of the pig and tell me to make do :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    if i asked for burnt ends.. they would give me the hoofs and snouts of the pig and tell me to make do.
    "Now I know how I got married. :woohoo: :woohoo:" I asked for burnt ends in SC.

You have your smoke flavor the flavor of the rub. Crock pot would work. The meat is finished, just not the fat rendering out.

Mike
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    TB, i'll just meet you at the dock, take the point and cook them up for you ;)

Seriously, later in the week just cube them up, cook them at 250-275. Toss with a heavy dose of bbq sauce and cook for 2-3 hours. Sometimes it is good when the flat is done, but the extra cooking really doesn't hurt the point.

When i do brisket i look for the biggest point I can find - it is the best part IMO.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I would put the point back on for another hour. Take it to 200-210. Just to render a little more fat then cut it up and food saver with some sauce. IMO Brisket works better with a tart - er sauce. Not so much sweet as kinda biting, spicy. I found this one. Based on what I see it should work well with brisket.

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    3 stalks celery, chopped
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons chopped onion
    3 bay leaves
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    pinch of black pepper
    Preparation:
    Mix all ingredients together. Place in saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and strain.

Recipe by Walter Jetton
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Like you I love the point. I can always find flats in a store but never just the points. Wish I could buy a whole and extra point.
  • BENTE
    Options
    well it sounds like you got the horns of a wild boar when you got married :woohoo: (ok that was a low blow and i am sorry :( )
    crock pot later in the week may be an option....thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    thanks for the recepie you know i have a special spot on my computer for those kind of things ;)
    and i have everything but the celery :angry: wonder if i put some celery seeds in my morter and pestal if that would work????

i mean it has powdered other things...

i am not sure if putting the point on for "another hour" is an option i told leah if i get it off the egg in time i would like to be at the boat by noon.. so if the brisket takes a little longer i may remove the point put into foodsaver bag, put the flat in foil and cooler grab the baby and leave... so what do i do then?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    Options
    I have a HUGE brisket for the 4th - nearly 18 pounds, and I am seriously thinking about grinding the flat and cooking only the point to go with the two butts I am doing.
  • BENTE
    Options
    get off I-85 @ s.c. exit 14 take a left go straight at the light until you run into the water :laugh: i will be there.....

thanks i will try what you say.. i made burnt ends once i only had a flat ant it turned out tastey... have no earthly idea if it was as good as everyone else says burnt endt are but it was good in fact i think i have some foodsavered... may take that with me... proabably not only suppoesd to be 6 on the boat so i think i will have enough... one of the 6 is only 9 months 7/6/2008

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Change diapers? :woohoo:

Mike
  • BENTE
    Options
    well leah has that down!!! she is like a F1 pit stop... me i am a little slower proabably around nation wide speed :P

but that is still not an hour close but still......

BTW i see your prediction was incorrect..... he went 2nd :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Long story, The Bulls will be sorry in 10 years.
    I was pretty slow myself. Like the turtles on the DSL commercial. That is me. :ohmy:

Mike
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    The point is to put it on for a longer period of time than the flat to render more of the fat out, then sauce it.
  • BENTE
    Options
    but time is the factor... i am not trying to be rude i know you have been around here for awhile. so i hope you understand i have read thirdeye's site over and over again just looking for the right combo to figure out what burnt ends are "supposed" to taste like.. i cant buy them here. and we are going to be leaving for the lake around the time i am hoping to pull this thing off... so i am planning on pulling it, seperating the point from flat and wrapping the flat in foil towels and a cooler and leaving... so my original qusetion could have been a little vague.. i was asking what happens and how do i make the piece i left at home into burnt ends.. thanks for the link thou ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    If that's the case then just wrap the point in plastic. When you can get back to it just put it back on a 250 deg egg and let it go for 2 hours. Should still render more fat.

Check it out when you separate it. If it doesn't seem too fatty to you then just food saver and reheat later. You've cooked enough butts to be able to tell if it's too fat. Brisket points should be like a perfectly done butt.
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    BENTE,

No sweat man, did you notice the last line of my how to?

TIP: Freeze several cooked points and make a big batch of burnt ends. They are good to take to parties or into work as they reheat well especially in a microwave.

It sounds like you just want to make your burnt ends the next day, so I would just wrap the point in foil and refrigerate. When you're ready to make them, put the foiled point in a 250* oven to get it started on coming up to temp, then get the cooker up to 250*. I did the exact thing, the day before I made this pan of burnt ends...

dsc03167aL.jpg

When the Egg is ready for cooking, unwrap the point, remove from foil...save any liquid from the foil, it should be de-fatted and added to your sauce. If it is nice and tender you could cube it, put them in an aluminum pan and do the reduction step on your Egg. Option two is to put the whole point on the Egg for an hour or two, this will render it more tender. Then cube and reduce, or cube and serve dry with sauce on the table.

For leftovers (I doubt you will have any) food saver them and freeze.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BENTE
    Options
    thanks i will do.. yes i seen the line but there was no tip to doing the next day but i will do what you said thanks again for your site i have followed your instructions (not all but most of them :) )

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    ok will do thanks mike

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    Options
    Another thing I do (and forgot to add this last night) is take a bit of flat and mince it up and toss it in with the sauce and ends to make the sauce with the burnt ends a bit 'meatier'.