Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peppered Pit Beef and a lesson.

Options
Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just a 2 3/4 lb rump roast. EVOO. A very good dose of Rasing The Steaks and the fresh Peppercorns.
Sugar Maple for smoke. :laugh:
ppb3.jpg
2 Hours in. Pulled at 138.
ppb4.jpg
Wrapped in foil for 20 minutes before slicing. Beatiful pink color and no blood running out of the slicer.
ppb2.jpg
The 610 Chef's Choice has a small learning curve. Shredded most but really didn't care.
ppb1.jpg

Nice sammich.

Mike

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    looks like your slicer can do the extra thin be thankful mine won't :(

was this a test for your upcomming venture :blink:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Kinda, my slicer won't go threw the 45 lbs of rump roast I'm cooking. But the flavor was dang good. ;)
    I'm hoping to get a couple more roasts and partially freeze and see how it does for beef jerky.

Mike
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    So you decided on rump instead of chuck? Rump always seems so dry to me, especially when not done med rare.

BTW, did one Thursday night - Friday with some seasoning from Schwartz's in Montreal, the real Montreal seasoning. Stuff must have saltpeter in it, the smoke ring was unbelievable, like an inch into the meat, and it was about the most tender I've ever done... Was probably about 17#. We served 11 people and there's only about 3# left. My wife froze if for when a friend is visiting and I'll be away... damn I wanted a sandwich tonight....
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    You have to understand, I grew up cooking 30-45 lbs of rump roast every week. That is my comfort zone. It is my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary. I'd really hate to try something new. :(

Mike
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    sounds like you may have to make the car washes "pay" for a "advertising" hobart slicer :whistle: at least that is what the IRS will see :lol:

i think that the rump roast is a weird cut of beef if it gets too "done" it falls apart but finding that magic number is proabably the answer to all of our questions

looks like it was good though

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    Can't blame you for that. Congrads :) I'm luck enough to still have both of my parents and I think they're working on number 65 !!! Not many matched sets like that around these days :)
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Life is a lesson...., and it looks like you're learning it well.....But, I'll be damned if you don't make it difficult sometimes. :woohoo:

BuddyLawn
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    3 inches of rain last night. Have you considered hiring the self proclaimed "Love God" to help you with your problems.
    Did your girlfriend e-mail you? :woohoo: :woohoo:

Mike
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Just a suggestion, get the non-serrated blade for your slicer and you'll be much happier with the thin slices you get with beef, ham, and turkey.

I have the serrated blade and only use it for bread and cheese.

Well worth the $25 in my opinion.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Thanks Rod, it is a new huge Bass Pro on 40 Highway and 291. They just opened and are kind of new.

Mike
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Mike,

How is the maple/beef combo? I've only ever used the maple for pork. I'll try it if you give it a thumbs up.

Thanks!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Any way you slice it it looks good! ;) What you cook it to inside? My bad. I just saw the temp in your post. :blush: