Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

B&B Lump at Academy Sports

Dr. StrangeloveDr. Strangelove Posts: 261
edited 3:47AM in EggHead Forum
I was killing some time at Academy Sports here in Athens, Ga yesterday when I noticed they carry 20lb bags of B&B lump for $9.99. Not a bad price, I've never tried it, but for half the going rate for the BGE brand, I'll give it a shot!

Jon
Athens, GA

Comments

• Lawn RangerLawn Ranger Posts: 5,466
    Yep. That is a good price. I've seen it here for the same. I like B&B...use it quite a bit of the time.

Good weekend to you.

Mike
  • SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
    Well it's a bit of a drive, but a few us in North Atlanta would love some. Where is Academy Sports?
  • Academy Sports
    3505 Atlanta Highway
    Athens, GA 30606
    (706) 354-5620

Mon-Fri 9am-9pm, Sat 8am-9pm, Sun 10am-7pm

Web site:

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=locator&postalCode=30606&imageField.x=15&imageField.y=12
  • SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
    Thanks!! Their web site only shows the 10 lb bags for $5.99
  • Call before you drive, but they had a shelf full (20+) of the 20 pounders at $9.99 yesterday. I just stocked up at Kroger on their brand so I didn't buy any...
  • Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Not sure what the Whiz says, but I've used it a couple times. My impression was it burns hot and produces significantly more ash than my standard Ozark Oak.
  • Beanie-BeanBeanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    I've used it before with horrible results--the lump kept sparking and blowing apart, much like the kingsford stuff. I ended up with little bits of ash and charcoal all over the grate when it finally settled down.

Really don't like their stuff--I prefer the Ozark Oak myself.
  • Big Easy EggBig Easy Egg Posts: 191
    I had the same results, lot of ash and sparks. Maybe I'll get some for July 4th :laugh:
  • PopsiclePopsicle Posts: 519
    I have used it for the past 10 years and never had the sparking problems you are talking about. Now that being said, it does make a lot of ash but I think that is because it is much denser than many other brands of lump. I like the smoke flavor it produces and really like the size of chunks. Very little powder in bag. Price is right also. Just my .02 on B&B lump. Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,597
    It's good lump, just be careful lighting it with a mapp torch, kinda sparks under the torch......
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.