Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

so I've got 10lbs of riblets thawing in the fridge

Options
dhuffjr
dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
what to do with them?

I've never cooked them before but when my mom was up she brought two cases of them with her. She got a really good deal.... .59cents a pound.

I'm guessing they don't take as long as ribs but what do I know :lol:

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I like to boil them an put the meat in a pot of chili. Someone, I believe Nature Boy makes sausage with the meat.
    Here is an oriental method.

Pork, Riblets, Spare Ribs In The Wok, Rascal

Here's a recipe that I was given at least 30 years ago. It's a great one and I've prepared it many times over the years. Originally I used pork ribs cut to 1" lengths but you could use any bits (like what's left after fashioning a St. Louis cut, etc.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 lb rib tips or pieces of pork
    1 medium onion, sliced thin
    3 garlic cloves, chopped
    1/2 cup lo-sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup sugar
    4 Tbs canola oil
    water as needed

METHOD:
    1 Heat the oil and brown the ribs, Add the onion and cook until translucent, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook briefly. Add the sugar & soy, stirring to combine. Pour in enough water to cover and simmer (uncovered), stirring ocassionally until the liquid reduces to a thick glaze and the pork is fall-apart tender (takes a few hours). This can be a meal in itself along with rice or potatoes, or served at a cocktail party. One pound of ribs with bones does not go too far so you might want to double or triple the recipe. I've tried new twists, adding hoisin, ginger, etc., so there's no limit where you can take it.
    2 Enjoy!, Rascal

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Rascal, 2008/02/26
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,828
    Options
    you can cook them like regular ribs, they can take more heat. 275 direct, maybe 300 inderect. about an hour and a half to two hours. one problem with them is there is some inconsistancy with the cuts, some are meaty, some are not so some racks come out good, others get drier during the same cook. these i believe were cut from the country loin side of a babyback, i beleive some are cut from the spare section which might effect thew cook differently. however you like babybacks cooked do that, just give them a little more heat for a quicker cook
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=240454&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The word riblets gets used for both the trimmings from baby backs and the trimmings from spares. Both cook a little quicker than the larger portion they came from.

If they are rib-tips, from spares, one end is almost all bone. I usually seperate that. I smoke the pieces for a few hours, and then finish them in a slow cooker to get the meat to fall off for use in chili, or sandwiches.