Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt

Options
Eggspert
Eggspert Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked a boston butt this weekend for approx. 24 hours on BGE temp of 320o (indirect heat) with the plate setter. The butt turned out pretty dry but, bbq sauce cured that. Does anyone have any suggestion/comment on what i did incorrect?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    At 320*, without knowing how big the butt was, 24 hours was likely way too long.

I cook butts at a dome temp of 240-260 and they usually take about 2 hrs per pound. I have had some go 22-23 hrs, but that was at 240.

Cook to an internal temperature of 195-200* and don't worry about time. If you don't have a good meat thermometer I highly recommend one to improve all your cooks.

And I like to wrap my butts in foil and rest them for at least an hour before pulling to allow juices to redistribute.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Oh my, you don't mention what size the butt was, but that's far too hot and far too long. If it's a typical butt (~8 lbs), it should take 16 hours, tops, at 250* dome.

Did you check internal temp on it at all?
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Options
    i have a meat thermoter but i guess the excitement of getting my bge got the best of me.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Already said but I think the idea is low and slow to get it right. I would suggest following these directions. It worked well for me on my first long cook.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm
  • Meatatarian
    Options
    On the bright side, you cooked for 24 hours at 320. That's pretty impressive.

Meat
  • Trailblazer1229
    Options
    Yeah. WOW. How did you not open that thing for 24 hrs? Anyway, your weak link is always the meat thermometer. Make sure that bad boy didn't loose clibration. Throw it is some boiling water and make sure it is close to 212 deress F. It should be able to be adjusted in the back with a nut. If you want to be anal, get 2 meat thermo probes and make sure they are reading the same temp. be careful about placement. Too close to a bone or fat can throw your readings off. Your dome temp looked way too high for that long. More like 220-250 for 16 hours (8 lbs butt). Once internal hits 200, I pull. Good luck.