Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: how do you eat/serve your pulled pork?

Options
jcv
jcv Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just curious. I'm sort of BBQ ignorant LOL. I just recently (in the last year) started eating BBQ (ribs, pulledpork, etc...) since I was introduced to this local place that has awesome grub. It's called KC's Ribshack in case anyone local (NH) wants to know. This is what got me loving this type of food and started me wanting it at home.

Anyway, when I get pulled pork at KC's, it's served atop a piece of white bread and I just scoop it up with my fork and chow it ;) . I've heard that most people eat it on a bun with a bunch of coleslaw on it. I was just wondering what ways there are to serve/eat pulled pork.

I throw a big party on new years eve here at our house and I always try to have some great viddles... now that I have my egg, I want to make a few "dry runs" on the stuff I plan to serve so I'm confident :)

Comments

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    I serve it with hamburger buns. Offer coleslaw on the side for those who want it. Most people will use the buns, some will just put the meat on their plates and eat it with a fork.

Gwen
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Buns or white bread - Sunbeam for the purists, pickle slices (hamburger dills), sauce on the side (not mixed in with the meat)so people can add as much as they want, if any.
  • Fossil Frank
    Fossil Frank Posts: 285
    Options
    jcv
    Pulled Pork is great on a baked potato. I like it with BBQ sauce in it. Of course I also eat it on buns.It's all good. :P :P :P ;) New Hampshire is a great state to visit; I've been up there on business as well as pleasure and it sure is nice. more so in the fall.
    Frank from Indiana
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    hamburger bun, coleslaw, vinegar sauce....'nough said.
  • jcv
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

Hmmm, pulled pork on a baked potato sure sounds good!

Serving it with hamburger buns, coleslaw and sauce on the side sounds like a good plan. Boy, this forum sure makes me hungry!

I want to make some pulled pork now!

Another Q: is it good reheated? I ask because I go camping most every weekend - we have a seasonal site at a great campground - and it would be GREAT to bring some pulled pork for a killer meal at camp.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Pulled pork in Food Saver bags is the perfect thing to take camping. Just plop bag in a pot of water and place on the camp fire to warm up. If you're so inclined you can even mix sauce in the PP before sealing.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ike Witt
    Ike Witt Posts: 195
    Options
    Try finding a recipe to suit your taste for Cornbread
    Pancakes aka Hoecakes. Eat either open faced or as a sandwich. I also grew up eating pulled pork with another southern delicacy....Hushpuppies.

good luck

allen
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    As many ways to eat/serve it as there are ways to cook it..personally, I'm trying to cut down on my bread intake so I eat it piled on the plate with either some jalapeno slices and 'wickle pickles' or with some cole slaw piled on top...if I go with the jalapenos and pickles, I have the slaw on the side..also like some baked beans as a side..and if I'm in a bread mood..I'll make either some of CWs cornbread or some 'ho cakes and pile the Q on top of that...btw..this post is not 'OT' :woohoo:
  • jcv
    Options
    thanks Eggtucky, sounds great!

I figured it was OT because I wasn't asking how to cook it on the egg... I'll probably do that later though ;)
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    BBQ Nachos, Memphis style. Thin tortilla chips with a mound of PP, topped with cheap Rico's Cheddar Cheese sauce, my favorite sweet and spicy BBQ sauce, and jalapenos.

Man oh Man, good stuff!
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    I put some pulled pork inside potato skins the last time I made those and that was a big hit.

Gwen
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    With hamburger buns - Pulled Pork topped with Sauce then slaw.

Without Buns: Pulled Pork, Boiled Potatoes, Slaw, Hush Puppies.

Pulled Pork

Corn Bread

Add a finely chopped onion to the cornbread mix for hush puppies. Pour Mixture into a large zip lock bag and cut one corner off so you have a 1/2" opening. Squeeze mixture out into hot oil (do not do this on egg) to form hush puppy. Deep fry till golden brown.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I smoke mine with guava wood. I buy cheep hamburger buns and add a squirt of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    for camping, you can simply throw a foil packet full of smoked, pulled pork into your fire, along with a few corn cobbs. Some butter and BBQ sauce on the side, maybe a slice of white bread. .........
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    Don't know when the last time I heard the term 'ho cakes. My grandma made them and they were my favorite breakfast food. Thanks for the memory.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    ehehe...I'm not sure what else to call them Bama!..I'm sure they have another name..but I don't know it ;)
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I heap it on a bun, drizzle it with Sweet Baby Ray's and get my chubby self around it! :woohoo:
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I've got some guava, but never thought of using it on butts...do you like the flavor it gives?
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    You can eat it on a bun. Put it on a pizza. Makes a good filling for stuffed jalapenos. Very good as a stuffing in chicken breasts.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    I like it so much, that's all I use on butts. A friend used hickory and I didn't like it.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Hickory is strong...an acquired taste and you can't use too much. I oversmoked a fatty with hickory one time and I would have done better to toss the fatty and gnaw on the dang wood.

Thanks for the tip. I was looking for a cook to use the guava on, now I've got one...next week's butts!
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Let me know how you like it.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I sure will. Thanks again for the tip, HM.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    I enjoy hamburger buns also, but I prefer mine toasted(for everything including BBQ). Also, for a party, one time my family had a tray of crackers(Townhouse or Club probably work best IMHO) and we would just slap a bit of bbq with the Vinegar already mixed into the meat. I do this now when I want to grab a quick bite of bbq and have a couple pounds in the fridge, it even taste great to eat cold on crackers.
    Hope this helps!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Barrett....cold BBQ? Your a nut!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    where in nh is it, i serve it with homemade beans on the side or with homemade beans in the sandwich. im not putting coleslaw in my sandwich.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it