Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza trouble

Options
BostonEggSox
BostonEggSox Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's my first post......

I've been having fun with my LGE and have had success with most all of my cooks except for pizza. This one finally came out OK, but I have a few questions.

The transfer..What's the easiest way to transfer a pizza to the hot stone in the egg. It's difficult to slide it right on.

The dome temp gets to 500, but as soon as the pizza hits the stone and I close the Egg I can't get past 425.

100_1478.jpg

Comments

• 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    How high up do you have the pizza stone? Higher up is better for two reasons: 1) Closer to dome for heat and 2) Its easier to transfer the pizza.

Other question is how long do you let the egg heat up before the first pizza? It needs 45 minutes at temp the very least, one hour is better.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    A little sick of the SOX and Boston fans, but...

You should use parchment paper. This will allow you to move a prepped pizza to the pizza stone.

Greg
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    There are many ways to transfer a pizza to a stone.... As another poster indicated, you can use parchment, the back of a cookie sheet, on and on. That said, there's a tool specifically designed for the job, a pizza peel. Some feel it's intimidating, but if pizza is going to become a regular part of your BGE experience, I'd suggest learning how to use one.

Before:
    918-neopolitan-pizza.jpg

After:
    919-neopolitan-pizza.jpg

Recipe and more pictures HERE
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I've got a Baker's Secret pizza stone for my medium egg. It came with a wire rack with handles. I put it all in the egg, preheat to 400 dome temp. Remove the stone on the wire rack to kitchen, build pizza, place back on egg for 30 minutes. The only thing I can say is pizza's are fantastic on the BGE! Keep working on getting a working system down, you will be rewarded! :woohoo:
  • BostonEggSox
    BostonEggSox Posts: 116
    Options
    To all, thanks for the great and varied information. The perfect pie cannot be far off....

I also have to figure out how to load photos!

Until then, Beer, Butt, Brisket, Burgers and Beantown sports.......Life is good!

Mike
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    I never bought one but I think that this super peel would help alot.

http://www.superpeel.com/

The unique friction free function of the Super Peel lies in its novel yet simple design, a recombination of two of the oldest and most traditional of baker's tools - A Baker's Peel and a Pastry Cloth.

The result is new transport tool for the home baker, which offers the same functionality (ease of use, delicate touch and precision) that conveyor belts and conveyor type oven loaders have long provided to commercial bakeries and artisan bread bakers. The two key elements are:

A Non-Stick Work Surface

With a light dusting of flour, your dough will not stick to the fabric belt. Thus, the Super Peel provides a stick-free working/rolling surface for your dough.

Pick Up –Put Down Function

As you slide the Super Peel forward, the automatic rotation of the belt feeds a fresh, non-stick, floured cloth surface under whatever you are lifting. (Devices, operating in a similar manner, are used in the medical field to carefully lift and transport physically unstable or sensitive patients.)

The resulting conveyor belt action allows the Super Peel to slide under most anything with essentially no friction, thus with very little disturbance. Yet once up on top of Super Peel, the friction of the cloth keeps things from sliding around, except to where you want them.

http://www.superpeel.com/videos.html
  • givehim6
    givehim6 Posts: 22
    Options
    Go Giants!

Pizza was the first thing I cooked on the egg and I find it very easy. Here's what I do

1. I like the dome temp stabalized around 500 with the platesetter feet down and my pizza stone sitting directly on it.

2. Whether it is homemade pizzas or frozen (I love the Digourno rising crust supremes :) ), I use plenty of cornmeal under the pie and it is easy to slide onto and off of the peel. I use kosher salt directly on the stone instead of cornmeal because the cornmeal burns and I like the taste of the salt on my pie crust.

3. Get a pizza peel. You can use a large spatula and pizza pans until then, but get a pizza peel.

4. Typically the thick crusted Digourno pizzas are ready in 12-15 minutes, less time for the thin-crust homemade pizzas.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Super-Peel. The cloth slides, and loads the pie from your work surface, and then unloads it right on to the stone. I love this thing!

100_0912.jpg

http://www.superpeel.com/videos.html
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I can see how that works for getting the pie off the peel, but how does it work picking up the cooked pie? -RP
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    A wooden pizza peel, lots of cornmeal and being willing to mess up a few pizzas learning is all it takes. From that point on, you're doing the real thing with the real tools.
  • Unknown
    Options
    RP,

(And, Hi to Group and Thank You to our many customers and supporters here)

You can use the Super Peel to remove the cooked pie, using the same pick up motion. Better, but not necessary, is to very simply remove the cloth belt and just use it as the regular peel that it is for removal.

Since removal of a cooked pizza is generally less challenging, it can be easily done by simply grabbing it and sliding it off with tongs or fork.

The Super Peel actually is a very traditional baking tool/technique, just downsized for home use. Similar tools and techniques have been used by bread bakers for 100's of years and are still widely in use today.

Pizza Meister
    (Master of the Super Peel Domain)