Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

octopus

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any tips for cooking octopus on BGE? Thanks, Mike

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mike H,
    Not sure how big your specimen is, but it is much like squid. Cook it too slow and it turns to rubber. A high temp cook is best. Here is the squid recipe that works for me. If you have thicker pieces, you might want to try 500-600 instead of turbo temps (over 750). But still the key will be to cook them quickly. [p]Let us know what you end up doing.
    Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Sorry. Here is the link.
    Chris

• I am batting poorly. Shudda taken my steroids.
    Try this
    chris

[ul][li]Squid recipe[/ul]
  • Gomer, Thanks, I'm going to try that tomorrow nite. I'll let you know how it goes. I've been eggin' for several years mostly pork,beef chicken etc. I had some octopus in Cancun last month and have been craving it ever since. I visit this board every day and have gotten most of my expertise on the egg from you regulars. Thanks again, Mike

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Mike H,[p]Welcome to tenacle family. I agree with NB about how to cook em. I would suggest you also put some vinegar, salt and powdered garlic in a finger bowl for each adventurer. Dippin the octopus in it adds a nice flavor and hey if you don't like it, how much money and time are you out?[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• Mike H,
    I have a few cooking tips and a simple traditional Mediterranean cooking method. [p]What you will need
    1. 1:1 ratio of Red Wine Vinegar and water to cover the octopus.
    2. One or more wine corks (real cork not the new plastic stuff)
    3. Marinade
     ¼ cup Olive Oil
     3-4 Garlic gloves (chopped)
     1-2 tablespoons Oregano
     Salt and Pepper to taste[p]Directions
    1. Bring the Red Wine Vinegar and water mixture to a boil
    2. Add corks (Really! Cork has an enzyme that breaks down tissue in Octopus, tenderizing it)and Octopus and boil for 20 to 40 minutes depending on the size of Octopus.
    3. Place Octopus in a non reactive bowl and add marinade (Marinade it for at least 15 minutes or until its cool).
    4. After marinading grill at a medium heat (300 degrees) for 20 minutes[p]Cooking tip
    Reserve some of the marinade to brush on the octopus just before you serve.
    Before you cook, clean the octopus by rubbing it salt (1/4 cup should do) then rinse with cold water.[p]Let me know what you think,[p]Claudio