Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Little Trick I Learned

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Lately I've taken to lighting my BGe from the bottom with a single starter cube and think it does a better job of starting a hotter, quicker fire for high temp cooks. But being somewhat arthritic, it's difficult for me to see underneath, therefore I can't always see which hole the cube is sitting over.[p]Tonight I took a toothpick and stuck it in the cube and placed it so that the toothpick would stick out of the bottom of the grate, making for easier sighting and lighting.[p]It's a stupid little thing and I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this but there you have it. [p]Cheers!

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Skwerl X,
    There seem to many that like to light from under the grate so it must be working for them. I have tried it a few times and it seem like forever to get the egg going. Guess I will always be a top lighter, besides, my egg sits on the ground and I hate to get on my bony knees to look into the bottom vent to place and light the cube. Glad it's working for you.
    New Bob

• New Bob, mine sits in a table that has not been modified for the new spring hinge so it also sits on 2 large bricks, so it's pretty high. It works out because the cooking surface is higher which means I don't have to bend down from my 6'5" height.[p]I still top light when I do slow cooks as it seems to preserve the lump longer and offers more control over the lower temps.[p]Bottom lighting, provided the Egg is clean and using big pieces, seems to be the ticket for hot starting and a more complete "hot zone." However, once you're done searing your victim at 700+, there isn't much left for reuse, but I don't reuse lump anyways.[p]Take care!

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Skwerl X,
    I hope you've got a cast iron coal grate, I can't think of a faster way to shatter the ceramic one, and unlike a cracked firebox, a broken grate can severely hinder your ability to Egg.[p]I always keep the firebox full, well into the firering, and I've probably been reusing some of the same coals since last October, and light from the top with 3 or 4 "Seymor's Starter Blocks". Still not a single hairline crack anywhere in my firebox, and my steaks sear perfectly just inches above the burning coals within fifteen minutes of lighting up.

• Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    Options
    So here is the little trick that I learned. Pour in any new lump as needed. Stick you finger down in the center of the lump and clean a small circle (1"-2")in the lump clear to the grate (cast iron). Open bottom vent.
    Drop 1 starter cube in the cleared area, and light. Push the lump back around and partially over the burning cube. Close the lid.
    If doing low and slow set your timer for about 4 minutes, hot as hell set your timer for about 6 minutes.