Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grill

Options
Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just ordered one for my Large from the Mothership. Got to thinkin' though, do I leave it on the Egg all the time, or is it just for steeaks and burgers, etc.? What to do, what to do??? Thanks

Comments

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing until someone asked the same question and the answer was use the standard grate for foods that you don't want to stick like fish.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    You can use it for anything.
    Season it like you would a CI skillet or DO.
    After each use, clean the grate with a stiff brush while it is still warm.
    The more you use it, the better it gets.

Just in case:
    If you are one of those who has a problem with mold growing in your Egg, store it in a dry place.
    Drawer under your oven.
    In the oven.
    Shelf in a pantry.
    etc.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    bout the only time I dont use the CI grate is when I need to use my extender...or if I have my std grate on and I'm too lazy to change it..I use it for fish also with no problem..
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I have a C.I. grate for my small and medium.I havn't used the original grate since.I keep them around just in case,but no problems with food sticking to the C.I. Not even stealhead trout :woohoo:Mike is right,the more you use it,the better it gets ;)

009-9.jpg
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Looks good Doug.
    I haven't had Egged fish in a couple weeks... something that needs correcting,, soon.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Dave,

It's pretty heavy, and probably something you won't want to use when cooking with the platesetter. I use the porcelain grid for those type cooks. Otherwise, I'm using the CI grate--it's a lot more like the grates I had in my old gasser, and will put some nice marks on your food. Not saying that I prefer to cook on my old gasser--he's pulling duty as #1 storage unit for BGE accessories at the moment.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    DSCN3193.jpg
    DSCN3220.jpg
    DSCN3228.jpg
    I use mine for searing and cooking Steaks, Lamb Chops, Baked Potatoes, and Grilled Romaine
    DSCN3132.jpg
    DSCN3115.jpg
    DSCN3116.jpg
    DSCN2432.jpg
    DSCN2770.jpg
    I use the porcelain Grid for Onion Pies, Roasting Chili, Cooking with the Cast Iron Pan, Chicken and Potatoes,and Ribs.
    My Best,
    Ross
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Thanks for all the great information everyone. I'm looking forward to using it.
  • WarEaglegger
    Options
    Be warned that food WILL stick to it if not seasoned properly. Seasoning does get better with time. If you have a brand new grate, I would stick with the porcelain grid for chicken and fish. Season the CI like you would a skillet and cook some beef on it a few times to make sure the seasoning is sufficient.

Good instructions on seasoning on Lodge Cast Iron products website.