Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare rib question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Local Krogers had cryovac packs of Spare ribs for 99 cents/pound so I got a couple. I have 2 racks all rubbed & slathered in the fridge for a cook tomorrow. My first time for these - any tips as to temp & length of cook? I tried an Archive search but kept getting an error, it must be broken.
Thanks in advance
Doc Pigg

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Doc Pigg,[p]I like to do em direct at about 225° flipping every 45 minutes for 3 to 4 hrs.[p]Jethro
  • Doc Pigg,
    I sure have had great luck with JSlots Rib Technique. Indirect at 375 for 2 hours. The method is on the bge web site --recipes-pork. I turn the ribs in the rack 180 degrees after 1 hour to insure all surfaces are equally exposed.

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 42
    Options
    Doc Pigg,[p]I've done spares twice since I got the egg a month ago. I guess what I'm doing is indirect (don't have firebrick or platesetter though).[p]I put a big cast iron fry pan lined with foil on the grid, and put a collapsable v-rack on its rim with the ribs draped on the rack after cutting them into smaller pieces. Then temp around 225 for about 6 hours, rearranging the ribs halfway through. Seems to be long enough to render out most of the fat and no burning. Meat was pretty easy to pull off the bone, but not mushy or falling off.[p]- Ed