Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2.5 inch Porterhose steaks need advice

Options
Marvelous
Marvelous Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Making six very thick portwehouse steaks on Medium I probably can only do two or three at a time want to do the Tex method, Usually i use 90 seconds per side at 600 and then do the rest program. How long would you sear each side on steaks that thick and also how long would you put them back when temp reduces to about 400.Thanks

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    If you want them med rare (125-130 internal)...cook 90 seconds per side at 600 then let the fire reduce to 400...then cook 3minutes per side...use an instant read thermometer...put a little pat of butter on them right before you take them up...let them rest for 5 minutes to redistribute the juices...eat & enjoy
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Get good sear marks on each side. I would say 90 seconds and the turn 45* and repeat. Flip them over and do this again. You pick the temp to get a good hot sear with marks. After that, I usually add the platesetter. This drops the temp about 150-200*. I will basically bake it at this point on the egg to a desired temp for doneness.

Pull the steak about 5* lower than desired temp and rest for 5 minutes or so (it will continue to cook). When I do this, I get great marks and a really pink center throughout.

Your other option is to hot tub theb. This requires putting in a plastice bag and submerge in hot water to get the internal temp up to 100* or so. Then sear and follow steps above. It will reduce your cooking time.
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    This may go against the last few entries but I have found that searing the meat first does nothing to lock juices in this is fact and has been proven by Alton Brown, also searing the meat first makes it much harder to lower the Egg temp. Its much easier to cook your steaks at like 300 at grill level until steakes reach a few degrees lower than the desired finsh temp take the steaks off and cover to rest, lower grill and then bring the Egg up to Searing temp 600 or so for 4 to six minutes. This will give perfect steaks in a much shorter time.
    FireWalker
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    With that many and that thick I'd try the reverse sear like Fire Walker mentioned. Roast 2 or 3 at a time to 100° then rest while egg comes up to sear temps. 1 1/2 to 2 min a side for sear & remove according to temps. What time should I be there. :woohoo:
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Options
    Those cuts sound like Flintstone size, FlaPoolman pick me up on the way, I'm in NOLA.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    On my way Big Easy :woohoo: :woohoo: