Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elder Ward - NC PP BBQ

Options
FlaParrotHead
FlaParrotHead Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going for my first slow cook this weekend and having eaten (and ordered of the net - from Oink Epress - what a name) Eastern NC BBQ for nearly 40 years - it's time to try my own.[p]One quick quetion on EWs rub - - for the Brown Sugar - which is better dark or light . . . simple Q but wanted to get others thoughts - . Sounds like 2 to 2 1/2 hours per pound with a dome of 195/200 should do it.[p]Thanks, -bill

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    FlaParrotHead,[p]2 hrs per lb good rule of thumb
    dome temp easier to control and maintain if you cook at 250º
    lower temp are very hard to control. Otherwise . . . have fun!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,922
    Options
    FlaParrotHead,
    I've done his recipe with both dark and light and can't say I ever noticed any difference. Afterall the rub becomes the bark on the finished butt and at least I don't taste particular flavors of the rub contents in that bark. Good Luck. We had a meal last night of pulled pork frozen from March and it was terrific!

• ChicagoQ
    ChicagoQ Posts: 20
    Options
    FlaParrotHead,
    Hope it turns out great. Keep in mind that temp at the cooking grate is likely 30* or so cooler than dome temp. So if your dome reading is 200 or less you'll have a very hard time getting the butt to 190/200 internal. I have found that an oven thermometer placed on the cooking grate is a great way to see the difference.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    butt.jpg
    <p />FlaParrotHead,
    I think you may find you want to try for a dome temperature around 225. I did my first lo and slo about a month ago and I did it at about 220-230 for 20 hours with no peeking, no fiddling, etc. If you would like to read about my first attempt, which was a big success as far as I was concerned, here is a link:

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's First Pulled Pork[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • FlaParrotHead
    Options
    The Naked Whiz (and other Eggsperts).[p]OK - the firebox has been shopvac'd and the new coal layed out to EWs specs. First slow cooker newbie question - never having loaded the firebox "level" <lol> to the top - will this effect the air flow and my keeping the dome temp constant - for past cooks, even ribs I usually only fill about 1/2 leaving obvious air flow.[p]I plan on setting up as follows: cooking grate with drip pan - second cook grate above (4" bricks) with the meat on a V-rack. Should this be good or would you put the drip pan also on the top grate ? The B'But is 6 1/2 pounds - so I am expecting a 12-18 hour cook.[p]Thanks for the suggestions - - going to work on the rub and sauces now. [p]Bill