Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's cook - something different this time :)

Options
Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of the really nice butchers at HEB by my place just finished setting up more steaks yesterday, and went I walked by he said that he had something for me. I was the recipient of the USDA Prime trimmings all packaged up in a nice big tray. Those were some really nice cuts which I turned into some kabobs this afternoon for a great Father's Day dinner.

I don't know what's worse: putting together ABTs or loading up the skewers:
IMG_1167.jpg

I was going to make some ABTs this afternoon, but after prepping the kabobs, I decided that I'll just do some later this week. Here is the first batch done:
IMG_1168.jpg

Here is the last batch going on the really hot rig:
IMG_1170.jpg

I think I started out with a dome temp of 500 deg on the first batch, and by the time this batch was done, the dome was hitting 600. Needless to say, I broke out the dirty/greasy grids and stuck them in the cooker when I went inside to eat. Nothing like some clean grids to making cooking (and eating...) a better experience!

Comments

• jamiemeyer
    jamiemeyer Posts: 97
    Options
    Mike - great looking 'bobs. I like the sound of the HEB butcher - which store are you going to? I am also in RR, and it sounds like I need to meet your butcher!
    Thanks.
  • ViennaJack
    ViennaJack Posts: 357
    Options
    Nice looking kabobs Mike!

I was reading one of my BBQ books the other day and stumbled on an obvious recommendation that I've never thought of before, but it makes perfect sense. Soak the bamboo skewers for 30 minutes before you load them up, and they won't burn up. I haven't tried it yet. My skewers usually get burned up pretty good. Have you every tried soaking them first?
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Mike your like a kid with a new toy with that new rig you got! Putting it to good use I see. I understand about waiting on the ABT's they are a lot of work, no nutritianal redeaming value BUT sure ar tastie!! B) The bobs look great! Hope your limonade tasted better than bill's!lol
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    I go to the one on 620 by the hospital...
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Hi Jack

The skewers were soaked for about an hour...if not, then they would have burned way more than what you saw. The portion of the skewer not exposed directly to the flames/lump was not burned up at all. I'm just happy they lasted as long as they did. We usually have some bigger skewers, but I think we used them up on the last cook, and the little ones were all we had on hand. The cook was done at a really high dome temp, so I know that the skewers were taking a beating!

One tip I have for you is that if you're going to be soaking skewers, try weighing down the pile with a small dish so that they're submerged and not floating on top.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    I really like the rig, man, and especially the grid because the spacing between the rods is much closer, and I'm less likely to lose anything in between.

Lemonade was great :)
  • jamiemeyer
    jamiemeyer Posts: 97
    Options
    Beanie-Bean wrote:
    I go to the one on 620 by the hospital...
    Thanks. I will have to check that one out. I have been going to the HEB plus on 79, and it is too big and impersonal.
    Thanks for the lead.