Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Temp

Options
run4jc
run4jc Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Seen this same question asked other ways...gotta ask anyway. Bought the egg last Saturday - practiced on tuna steaks, pork loin, chicken breasts, smoked sausage - even baked potatoes.
Been reading through this great forum prepping for my first 'butts.' Put three on yesterday at 4 (took photos all along the way that I'll post later today) - tweaked the egg til the temp was holding 240 (couldn't get it lower without a newbies fear of snuffing the fire.) All was going great - took my last look at the temp at 10 last night. The largest butt was up to 165 and the fire was holding steady at 240 with an aroma that would turn a vegetarian into a serious meat eater!

So - this morning - 6 AM - jumped up and ran down to look. Temp in the egg at 200 - smoke still lazily wafting out - but the butt was down ot 145!!! Checked one of the smaller butts and it was at 170! I stoked up the fire and it is up to 260 now at the dome - should I worry? The meat looks great and is juicy and looks done - should I just pull it off the grill and wrap it and put it in the cooler or should I try to run the temp up to 190?

I'm gonna go run enough to burn off the gorging that's gonna happen later today - hope someone can help out while I'm gone! Thanks!

Comments

• BamaBackdraft
    Options
    Cook BB the other day and one plateaued at 149 for a few hours. I think as long as your grill temp was at 200 you should be fine. Hopefully some of the more experienced cooks will chime in.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    You should be fine. Take the meat up to 195-200. The extra time you'll need because the temp went low might mean a slightly drier finish, but nothing that a splash of sauce won't cure.
  • run4jc
    run4jc Posts: 107
    Options
    To gdenby and Bamabackdraft - thanks for your replies. I accidently posted twice..

Yes, I believe the grid temp stayed above 200 - I stoked it up and ran it up to 300 and brought the butt up to 195 and took it off the grill. It was still so juicy I just couldn't believe it.

Bamabackdraft - I'm in Northern Virginia now, but I'm a 'Bama native - born and raised in Tuscaloosa. Left in 1997 - lived in Atlanta for 11 years (and never got an Egg!) then moved up here last August. Egg dealers all over the place up here.

Thanks everyone.