Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Grate Needed?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I acquired a used medium BGE, but it came without a cast iron fire grate. Do I really need a cooking grate? What would happen if I cooked without it, would the coals concentrated in the bottom of the fire box damage the cooker? Would food cook evenly? Am I being cheap trying to avoid buying the grate? Thanks,
Dennis

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You need the Fire grate!! They don't cost all that much. Some people have bought cast iron drains that fit.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Can you cook without a firegrate...yes.

Should you...????

The Egg is meant to operate with a flow that the firegrate creates, therfor I would not simply try to reinvent the Egg and how it works.

You buy cheap meat to save money too?

Life is too short my man, live it right.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Unknown
    Options
    I doubt you have a problem with damage, but you would have an air flow problem. The ash falls thru the grate, without a grate the ash would either kill your fire, or at the least the ash would stop you from getting up to desired temps. If you have some expanded metal laying around cut that to make a grate, it works better than the c.i. grates.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You tell'em hahaha

What is the cost of that grate? 30 bucks.. 800+ years have gone into the design and function of the egg.
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    Cooking without a fire grate would lead to the bottom of the egg getting much hotter than normal, possibly hot enough to start a fire. Even if the heat didn't cause a fire, a spark or hot coal would be much more likely to pop out of the draft door unless you have the screen closed.

I have done extensive testing on exterior egg temps and will be posting related info soon. Please do not attempt to cook without a proper fire grate.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Life on the CHEAP!

As the other posts have said, you need the fire grate.

Jeeez!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    The grate is less than $20.
    The Naked Whiz