Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork for 125 folks

Options
Braddog
Braddog Posts: 212
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My neighbor is retiring from active duty in the Air Force in a few weeks and since he and his family have enjoyed many of the things that I've produced with the egg, they've asked me to cook pulled pork for the retirement wingding. They're expecting 125 folks give or take.

I've got quantity and technique figured out, but I'll have to pre-cook most of the pork butt the week prior. We'll serve the pulled pork buffet style in chafing trays &/or Nesco cookers.

So here's my question. Freeze whole butts or pull first then freeze? And, based on the answer to the first question, how would you reheat?

Any other advice on a cook this size is welcome as well.

Thanks in advance,
Braddog

Comments

• BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    I would pull it after the cook. Then vaccum seal it and freeze. For re-heating I would use a little chicken broth mixed in the pan and tossed. One other thing...depending on the time of the cook, if you can vaccum seal it may not have to be frozen. I also know some here use coke or pepsi or dr pepper. Hopefully the will chime in.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Agree with Bama, I'd add the chicken broth then vac seal with the broth. to reheat just drop the sealed bags in hot or boiling water & serve.
  • Braddog
    Options
    Thanks Bama, how long do you think it would be safe it keep it unfrozen in a vacuum sealed bag?
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    At least 3 days maybe more. I have sliced ham and kept it for a week and then served with no problem. If you're not comfortable then seal and freeze. Also FlaPoolman has a good idea with putting the chicken broth in at the seal.
  • Braddog
    Options
    Cool, I plan to try and do the cooking as close to the event as possible. Not having to deal with defrosting would make serving and keeping the buffet stocked a lot simpler.

What do you think, sauce on the meat or sauce on the side? I'm a little worried about it drying out.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Why not have a few different sauces on the side for a group that size? . Hot, Mild, Mustard, Sweet, Vinegar. What ever you think will be a good balance. They can each pick their favorite.
  • Braddog
    Options
    That'd be my preference, but I'm concerned about the meat drying out. Any recommendations on that topic?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Take your best shot!

How to, Reheating Liquids ~ The Poll Results, Thirdeye

Thanks everyone for giving up your secrets....Here is a summary showing which liquids folks add to meats when reheating. Some information is from my cookin' notes, some from interviews, podcasts, cookbooks or magazine articles and the most recent is from the poll question I posted on 3 Q sites. The most popular responses are listed first in each list.

PORK BUTT
    Apple juice + cooking juice
    Apple juice + chicken broth
    Coca-Cola
    Apple juice + cooking juice + cider vinegar
    Coca-Cola + chicken broth
    Coca Cola + BBQ sauce
    Apple juice
    Apple juice + cider vinegar
    Dr. Pepper + cooking juice
    RC Cola + sauce
    Fruit nectars
    Brisket
    BBQ sauce + cooking juice
    Beef broth + BBQ sauce
    BBQ sauce + water
    Coca-Cola
    BBQ sauce + beer
    BBQ sauce (1/3) + Beef stock (2/3) + cooking juice
    Beef broth + Au Jus mix
    BBQ BEEF (chuck or clod)
    Beef broth + BBQ sauce + cooking juice
    Cooking juice + BBQ sauce
    Beef broth + BBQ sauce
    Beef broth + Coca-Cola
    Beef broth + coffee
    BBQ sauce (1/3) + Beef stock (2/3) + cooking juice
    BBQ sauce + Apple juice
    Beef broth + BBQ sauce + cider vinegar
    Coca-Cola

Comments
    1 Cooking juice was mentioned often. This generally referred to juices collected in the foil during the resting period, not juices collected if meats were cooked in foil or in pans. De-fatting the juice was not mentioned very often, the exception was de-fatting juices when meats were COOKED in pans or foil.
    2 Coca-Cola & apple juice are used a lot too, both straight and as an added ingredient.
    3 When BBQ sauce is used it is thinned out with another liquid. Mostly it is to add flavor, but some adjust the thickness to make the pulled meats "sticky" so they hang on a bun better.
    4 Vinegar was not mentioned as often as I thought it would be either.
    5 Only about 25% added dry seasonings after pulling the beef or pork.

Recipe Type
    Help

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Thirdeye, 2007/10/13
  • QBH
    QBH Posts: 49
    Options
    FWIW, I would not pull it before freezing. I do this on a fairly regular basis for parties at work.

I cook the butts as usual, to 195 degrees, let them cool, then wrap in a double layer of foil, and food-save. If if will be more than 3 days before serving, I put them in the freezer. Two days before serving, I put them in the refrigerator to defrost.

When party day arrives, cook them about 250 degrees, still wrapped in foil for about 3 hours. The last hour, take them out of the foil. The meat temperature is usually 150-160 when I pull it. I usually add wood, not that it helps the meat, but it stinks up the place real nice while I am cooking.

People love it, I have even served it at fests this way.

Larry
  • Braddog
    Options
    Thanks Richard, that helps a lot.

Cheers,
    Braddog