Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tequila Marinated Steak with Cherry Tomato Relish

Options
FearlessGrill
FearlessGrill Posts: 695
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all.

Here's something we cooked up the other night. My wife had made this years ago, before we got our Egg. It began as a recipe that appeared in Bon Appetit, though she changed it a bit. I remembered it recently, and we decided to give it another try. It's a bit different than your garden variety steak, but quite tasty. I really like the tomato relish - adds a great flavor and is good for you too. :)

Here's the finished product...
Steak%20with%20Tomato%20Relish.jpg

This is worth a try some time.

Recipe and more pics posted on our blog.

Enjoy!

-John

Comments

• Drunk at the EGG
    Options
    I have been making this for almost 10 years now. Never tried it with a steak though, always with Tri Tip (roast or strips) or Prime Rib. The tomato relish is something you can eat by itself or even as a salad dressing. I use diced green chiles instead of jalepenos and use light olive oil on the tomato relish to make it last longer in the fridge after the cook.
    Don
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    UH..forum rules...recipe please.
  • Drunk at the EGG
    Options
    Marinade and Cherry Tomato Relish
    Grilled Tri-Tip Roast with Tequila Marinade and Cherry Tomato Relish

1/2 cup fresh lime juice
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup tequila
    7 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 teaspoons grated lime peel
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    2 (2 pound) beef loin tri-tip roasts
    Cherry Tomato Relish (see recipe)

Whisk first 10 ingredients in medium bowl. Using small sharp knife, pierce meat all over. Place meat in large resealable plastic bag; marinate at least 2 hours or overnight, turning plastic bag occasionally.

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Remove meat from marinade. Discard marinade. Grill meat to desired doneness, about 10 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to cutting board. Tent with foil; let stand 10 minutes. Cut diagonally across grain. Serve meat with Cherry Tomato Relish.

Cherry Tomato Relish:
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    4 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
    3/4 cup olive oil
    2/3 cup drained canned diced mild green chilies
    4 green onions, finely chopped
    4 cups halved cherry tomatoes

Whisk vinegar and oregano in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil. Mix in green chilies and green onions. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover; chill.) Add tomatoes; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.