Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flashback

Options
407BGE
407BGE Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm pretty new the egg and was focused in on low and slow and other medium temperature recipes. Now after a couple of months I am starting to cook some steaks using the TREX method.

I did it twice last week and once this week and was thinking that I pretty much had the steak making licked (it is very easy to get to a medium rare which I had trouble getting to before).

Smug with myself I had fired up the egg to 650 and took the steaks out and cooled the egg down for 15 minutes to 275 for roasting the steaks. I put the steaks in and roasted them until they reached 122 degrees. I opened up the dome (burping only once quickly and :ohmy: :ohmy:
a flashback of monumental proportions!

The flashback did not happen for a couple seconds and I had the dome a little less than 1/2 open and I dropped the dome and jumped back. No hair on my left arm up to my elbow. I fortunately didn't do any damage to myself or the dome (it easily could have cracked as it slammed pretty hard).

So a word of warning for the newbies like me "BURP THAT EGG AT LEAST FOUR OR FIVE TIMES".

:ohmy: :ohmy:

Comments