Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter Destruction

Options
Louisiana Redneck
Louisiana Redneck Posts: 198
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning,

I recently purchased the Adjustable grid with spider and am having a problem finding a pizza stone. I have checked with the local dealer and he is out and not expecting to order any soon. I used a pizza stone I have had for years and when the chicken juices splashed on the heated stone, it popped in half. Long story short, I want to cut the legs off my plate setter but I don't want to ruin it. I want to turn it into a pizza stone to use on my spider for this weekend. What type of saw do I use and will cutting off the legs destroy it. I just want to make it round.

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Can't yuo just cook your pizza on it in the legs-down position?
  • Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    I'm sorry, I should have explained. I no longer have a need for the plate setter. I can cook multiple layers of food both direct and indirect by putting a pizza stone on the spider for indirect cooks. I like the adjustable rig so much I don't believe I will have a need for the plate setter. The adjustable rig will not set on the plate setter. I tried all variations. I just need to cut off the legs. That is what the BGE pizza stone is anyway without legs.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    If your local dealer does'nt have a stone, there are about a hundred places you can order one online. I have two larges and nearly everything tjv sells and I still wouldn't part with my platesetter. As much as I like tjv's setups, their are certain things/cooks that the platesetter is better suited to do; when baking a pizza for example, I used my pizza stone on top of the little green feet on top of the platesetter. My 2 cents. Mark
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    a dremel-type rotary cutter will work fine.... the ceramic cuts easily.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Before you destroy the platesetter, trying calling BGE's HQ retail store and see if they can ship you a stone. Hate to have you destroy something and ya never know when the platesetter could come in handy.

If you are doing a one grid, low and slow cook this weekend, try a pan on the lowest bracket setting for the indirect piece and drip pan. That's how I do it with good results.

Glad you enjoy the Rig.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tjv
    Options
    was it you with the wrong spider couple weeks ago. I emailed to get things right but never got a response back.......T
  • CaptGrumpy
    CaptGrumpy Posts: 58
    Options
    You can buy pizza stones at Bed Bath & Beyond, Linens & Things and places like those. Cheaper and easier than ruining a plate setter that you will one day say to yourself that you wish you had not destroyed it because now you need it and another $40-$50 set on fire.
    The pizza stones at the afore mentioned stores can be had anywhere from $15-$25.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Cheers Tom. The spider will work in both Larges. It's just a little snug in the new one. I asked the question about the difference in the Eggs and Chubby chimed in with a response that I didn't undestand. Very best regards, Mark
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I cut the feet off my XL plate setter.
    I used a roto zip with a tile bit.
    It cut real easy. I did not cut it round but kept it more oblong tri shaped. I now can use the the cut off legs to hold drip pans off the newly cut stone.
    No regrets at all.
    I used a small table top belt sander to smooth the cuts but a sanding block would also work.
    Just take it slow.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I am a true lover of the adjustable rig and spider combo. However, I wouldn't cut up a plate setter to use on it.

If you can't find a pizza stone locally, then go to walmart and pick up a ss pizza pan to put on the spider (iverted). Then pick up a metal with holes pizza cooking plate. Both will be very inexpensive. Put the pizza cooking plate on the raised grid.

Or better yet, use the plate setter inverted, grid and then the pizza cooking plate on the grid. That will give you some time to locate a pizza stone.

GG
  • tjv
    Options
    I really enjoyed our conversation....
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Ditto. Thanks for clearing things up for me. ;)