Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how do you light your egg?

Options
2»

Comments

• FearlessGrill
    Options
    Eafo,

Lighting with just paper works fine... repost from a couple of weeks ago...

I went through the same thoughts when I first bought my egg. I tried a number of methods, and while I have to admit that there is something satisfying about starting the fire with a blowtorch, flamethrower, C4, or whatever other methods various folks advocate, I've found a simple, economic solution, which I'm sure someone will say is blasphemous, but I cook on my Egg at least a few times a week and have never had an issue ...

1) Put lump charcoal in the Egg
    2) Using the convenient paper that was holding the lump, (the bag) rip a decent size piece off. Make sure the paper is dry, though if the bag is wet, the lump likely is too. On a really humid day, you might want to grab an old paper supermarket bag or a piece of newspaper that has been in the air conditioning instead.
    3) Dig a hole in the center of the lump, wad the paper up a bit, put it in the hole, and partially cover it with some of the lump you just moved aside.
    4) Using a wooden kitchen match, light the paper in a few spots. Drop the match in. I found that for whatever reason, if I use a lighter, it doesn't catch as well.
    5) As soon as the paper catches well, close the lid, with the top and bottom vents fully open.
    6) The fire should be up within a few minutes. Let it burn until the smoke clears, and then set the Egg to your desired temperature.

This method works great, 'recycles' those pesky bags, doesn't cost anything, leave behind any chemicals, or cause your neighbors to call the fire department. The burning paper does generate a bit of ash, but not enough to cause any issues, at least for me.

Hope this is helpful,

-John
  • eafo
    eafo Posts: 96
    Options
    thanks john! im going to try that next time i fire up the egg, then if that doesnt work ill try the olive oil/paper towels, then if that doesnt work ill try the alcohol.

living in FL, we dont have to worry about starting up the egg when its 10 degrees outside, just when its 95 with 75% humidity....which is why im very hesitant about the MAPP.
  • Pork N Stein
    Pork N Stein Posts: 157
    Options
    BobS wrote:
    If memory serves, RO had a fire, so supply is probably limited or non existant to anyone.

I hadn't heard about RO having a fire, but I did remember Cowboy's plant having a pretty large fire fairly recently.

If RO had one too, it has been a really bad year for the industry!
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Electric. 5 mins and turn off. 650 degrees in 11 mins.
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    I use rubbing alcohol. Clean, fast, cheap, easy. See the video here:

Part 1
    Part 2
  • Kaila
    Kaila Posts: 9
    Options
    I use the fire starter squares. You can get them about anywhere. Works great for me.
  • NooBBQ
    NooBBQ Posts: 134
    Options
    70chevelle wrote:
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    70chevelle,

With the weed burner like you see in Rod's picture the egg can be at 400° in less than 20 seconds.

In the cold winter that is all I use.
    GG

Sure looks like fun! But, why do I need an egg if I can just cook with my weed burner?! Talk about a sear grill! :laugh:

Seriously, I like the looks of the golf club, and for the price, it seems like the way to go. I haven't had any trouble getting my egg lit, except the one time I needed to clean the ash pit.

I bought the club as well and absolutely love it.

Hooked up to a regular propane bottle, but I also have a MAPP choice, t works great, it is very portable (reason I don't like my weedburner nor my electric). Also the very handy "hook" that comes with it allows you to hang the bottle off the side, and it starts inside minutes, it is easy to start small and large fires with ease.

FWIW, YMMV,

nooBBQ,
  • NooBBQ
    NooBBQ Posts: 134
    Options
    There is an inherit danger with the alcohol method.

If alcohol is poored into an egg that has been sitting in the sun all day, the heat of the interior will cause the alcohol to evaporate very fast, and in low circulation environment, it will result in a little "WOOOFF" when lit.

FWIW, YMMV,

nooBBQ,
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    NooBBQ:

I have lit the egg often with rubbing alcohol when both the egg and the alcohol have been sitting outside in the sun all day on a 95 degree day. It still works fine and doesn't "wooof" or create any other dangerous condition. In my video I recommend waiting 20-30 seconds after applying the alcohol to let any excess vapors disperse, and I stress not to light the egg with alcohol when the egg is closed. The only time I have experienced a major flare-up was when I used too much alcohol and didn't wait 20 seconds before lighting it, thus I recommend using no more than 60 ml and you should be fine. Even my worst flare-up during testing was a lot less dangeours than the huge fireballs and sparks caused by lighting with a weed burner or mapp torch.