Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here's my Pizza Process (long post); Making Pies (Part 3)

Options
Big-R
Big-R Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If you've made it to here, the you're almost ready for the fun part...
Making the pies. [p]I gather all the pie ingredients before the final dough step. Sauce, toppings, cheese, peels, corn meal, children. The kids love making their own personal pizza. [p]We have two peels, wooden for assembly of pies and metal for removing from oven. With five pie makers in the family, the last maker is using the peel when the first pie is done. The wooden peel is the same size as our stones so it helps in sizing the dough and placing it on the stone.[p]We have three stones, two in the oven on 550 degrees and one in the egg.[p]Now, make the pies.....[p]After the dough has rested (5-10 minutes), lightly flour the counter. grab the first dough ball (and the first pie maker). Press the dough ball into a small thick disc, drop the dough in the flour bin abd flour both sides. Plop the disc on the counter, working from the middle, press the dough out with both sets of fingertips, expanding the disc. As the disc widens, it will begin to stick to the counter... lightly re-flour the top of the disc, peal disc off the counter and flip over. Repeat process until you have the size pie you want. [p]Critical step: I put about 1 tsp (unmeasured of course) corn meal on the wooden peel, spread it around with the palm of my (by now) well floured hands. Peal up the pie dough and place on the peel. First child (eater) now prepares their pie while you start the next dough ball. [p]If you take too long to make the pie, it can stick to the peel. Lightly press the toppings down on the pie and then shake the peel to dislodge the pie (this almost always works). If your dough is wet, use more cornmeal on the peel. Slide the pizza onto stone with a smooth gentle jerk backwards.[p]Pie will take about 6-7 minutes to bake....[p]This recipe will work for calzones as well. However, make the calzone on the kitchen counter and transfer to the corn mealed peel to place on the stone.[p]Happy eats.....[p]Randy