Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got one a little while back and have used it for everything so far.. which mainly includes a pork tenderloin, numerous steaks, and some veggies.

Are there any foods that call for going back to the standard grate? Obviously it seems this thing retains heat much better, but I can't see that being a bad thing. ?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    And I guess to be fair, may as well throw some pics in. :lol: Did some NY Strips tonight.. I like most cuts, but IMO you just can't beat a ribeye. Still, I have to do a strip every now and then, they're just too good. lol

precooked_strips.jpg

I got it close to 750. I've had it pegged before, maybe 900F. But you have to be pretty meticulous about how you place the lump in the egg to get those temps (for me anyway. ? I have a Large egg, fwiw) So I seared around 710-720.
    sear_temp.jpg

seared_strip.jpg

Trying to be somewhat healthy. :lol: I HATED veggies growing up, and still do when they're cooked traditionally. Steamed veggies can't get anywhere near my plate, or canned for that matter. Grilled, though, I love them.
    veggies_grill.jpg

After I seared, I pulled them off and brought it down to 400F and put some Jack Daniel's wood chips in the fire for some smoke to try something different while I finished the steaks. Didn't notice a whole lot of difference and didn't want to put too many on and kill it since I never tried them before. They added some nice smoke, though, while finishing.

On the plate.
    plated_strips.jpg

I like right between medium and medium rare.
    cut_strips.jpg
  • Martyr82
    Martyr82 Posts: 24
    Options
    Great looking pics.. I have several extras for the BGE, but do not have the cast iron grate. I can see that I am going to have to break down and get one. Food looks awesome !

Marty
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Nice Looking Photos! No canned veggies for me either but lightly steamed is ok. I can't seem to remember putting the old grate on since I got the CI.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    i use the standard grate for chicken parts, fish, shrimp,and anything else I don't want sear or grill marks on or on things that have a propensity to stick. Whole fish stuck to a cast iron grid would not be a good thing.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I hadn't thought about sticking. The last butt I did stuck pretty good to the CI. I guess the standard grate will be coming out of retirement