Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ideas for smoked pork steaks

Options
Steve-O
Steve-O Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning to smoke two thick cut pork steaks tonight. There've been lots of posts on the forum about port chops, but not much regarding pork steaks. I don't want to do these hot and fast - I'm thinking maybe a mustard rub and 275-300 direct for 1.5-2 hours. Is that too hot for direct, or should I go indirect or lower the temperature to 250 or so? I want to get lots of smoke from chunks of apple wood.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Steve-O,
    I am thinking 275-300 is too high. You are entering grilling territory there. 225-250 direct will probably give you the results you are looking for. But I would check the internal temp, and don't go past 150 if they are anywhere near lean. I doubt they will take 2 hours....but I have not done this before.[p]Just thinking out loud.
    Beers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    Steve-O, I cut my bbq teeth on pork steaks. Pork steaks are cuts from the shoulder and IMHO should be cooked indirect and slow. Steaks that are sliced thin can be grilled with good results, but since you do have thick steaks, I would go with the low and slow indirect method of two and one-half hours (estimated cooking time) at 235-250F.[p]Since they are shoulder cuts, they will be more tender if they are cooked to an internal temperature of 170F or higher. I take them off the grill when the muscle segments start to pull away from each other.[p]Pork steaks do benefit from a good baste and IMHO are one of the few cuts of meat that can be both flavored and tenderized from a good marinade. Here one that I use:[p]2 cups Wishbone Spicy French Dressing
    1 cup lemon juice
    2 cups apple juice
    2 cups cherry cola
    1 cup Woebers Spicy mustard
    1/4 cup hot sauce[p]This marinade has a high sugar content and is very acidic. Because of the sugar, you must cook below 250F and indirect. I wouldn't soak the steaks more than 4-6 hours either. This marinade works great on rib tips too and they can soak up to 12 hours. [p]A rub will compliment the marinade. I reserve some of the marinade for basting during the last half of the cook, but any type of baste can be used. I don't sauce the steaks until after they come off the grill.[p]Let us know how they came out.[p]Beers to you,[p]JDB - Juggy D Beerman[p]PS Apple wood is a good wood to use on pork steaks [p]

• Gooba
    Gooba Posts: 26
    Options
    Juggy D Beerman,
    I find your marinade very appealing.I was wondering about the brands of apple juice,lemon juice,and cherry cola.What substitute brands if any will work? Also,I have not seen that brand of mustard,is there any others that will work?

• Unknown
    Options
    Gooba, This is pretty much a generic recipe.[p]The name brands of the sweet and spicy French dressing, cherry cola, apple juice and lemon juice are not important. I use the cheap lemon juice instead of paying extra for the name brand, "Real Lemon." and use the generic dressing instead of paying for "Wishbone." You can choose the style of hot sauce too as to the amount of heat you like and name brand as well.[p]The "Woeber's Sweet & Spicy Mustard" might be the only name brand that really matters. If you cannot find it (UPC # 74680 00082) in a store near you, you might try substituting a sweet and spicy stone ground mustard of your choice. [p]Beers to you,[p]JDB

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Juggy D Beerman,
    Great post. I did not know pork steaks were from the butt. Thanks for the edumication![p]Beers back to you.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ