Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's that time... CHARCOAL!!

Options
GirlyEgg
GirlyEgg Posts: 622
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, last year, my inaugeral Egg year, I heard a lot about "competition blend" Wicked Good Charcoal... By the time I decided I wanted to try it, the season was over... I have one bag of Cowboy left (trying to use all my miscellaneous charcoal) and it's time to get more. Before I head up to Ace to get the Wicked Good "regular", I thought I'd search out the other... is there a place in North GA?

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Weekend Warrior by Wicked Good is some good stuff. I get mine in B'Ham Al. Check the link. Hopefully you live near one of these.

http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/georgia.htm
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The weekend warrior blend is good stuff. I only use it for briskets and butts. I get it at Ace hardware out in Lawrenceville.

If you find the competition blend you let me know. I don't believe they make it any longer and egret won't part with the 642 bags he has upstate.
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    You can buy it over the web - the cost goes up because you have to pay for shipping to your address. My perspective is that charcoal is the least of my BGE expenses. I'm going to try their briquettes sometime in the next few weeks. TNW was very impressed by them and I do want a charcoal that can just be poured into the egg rather than be separated by big, medium and little chunks and then hand stacked. The briquettes will serve double duty in both the egg and my trusty Weber kettle. The WK, while clearly not an egg, is arguably second only to ceramic grills in its versatility. No gasser even comes close.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    I've used them now for about two years I think. I got a couple of bags when it first came out. I can tell you it's a little hard to light but my MAPP torch takes care of that in short order.

It burns HOT! And it seems to burn longer too. There seems to be a little more ash production but that doesn't make any difference to me since I only clean out the ash when I can't get a fire going at all! ;)

You might consider mixing it with Weekend Warrior for long cooks that seems to work great.

And, yes, I've been a long time fan of WG an unabashed fan if you will.

Egret has 600 bags of Competition Blend?! Time for Yankee raid on the Rebel camps! Mount up boys we're going down and whop they're rebel a**es again!! ;);)