Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

cooking a whole chicken on BGE

Smokin-AJ'sSmokin-AJ's Posts: 99
edited 5:34AM in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any pics showing cooking a whole chicken on a BGE? This is my next cook :woohoo:

Comments

• BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    no whole chickens picks but what we have been doing alot lately is un fried chicken http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/chick/unfried_chicken.htm

i usually buy a whole chicken and then cut it up right before i egg it here is a picture of the whole chicken on a plate after being unfried

03-03-08009.jpg

Jamakin Firewalk

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• lowercasebilllowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    food012.jpg

food013.jpg

food014.jpg

mini048.jpg

mini051.jpg

mini052.jpg

mini055.jpg

thighs024.jpg
    my first chicken on rack on top of 1/2 steam tray direct 350 perfect kids thought it was undercooked as it was so moist. no plate setter, no water in pan, no thermopen at the time

chicken.jpg
  • Susan EgglaineSusan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    A large roaster in my small. It came out great!
    DSCN1562.jpg
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Now, that looks like a tight fit.

GG
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,672
    Good thing about chickens is it leaves room for other things

chicken3.jpg

Like ABT'S

final.jpg
  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,453
    This is not vulgar, OK? Are you asking for beer butt chicken pictures or splatcocked chicken pictures? Both methods work well on your BGE and produce eggcellent results.
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    How about two whole chickens:

TwoChickens.jpg

Or two whole chickens and two taters ala RRP:

ChickensandTaters.jpg

ChickenandTatersDone.jpg
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    You can also do a spatchtom (aka butterflied turkey):

TurkeyDone.Small.jpg
  • JeffersonianJeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    DSC00246.jpg
    DSC00247.jpg
  • BrocBroc Posts: 1,398
    Having a bit of experience with both "beer can" and spatchcock, I much prefer spatchcocking. It's especially therapeutic to rip that backbone and neck off with my trusty 9" chef's knife.

Grrrrrrrrrrr......

Oh -- You mean cooking it....?

;)
  • Smokin-AJ'sSmokin-AJ's Posts: 99
    Thanks guys. I see that some of you prefer to spatchcock chicken over beer can chicken on the BGE. Any reason why. I was under the impression that BC chicken was more tender than SC chicken. After cooking regular chicken on the BGE last night, I wonder if that will change when I cook these whole chicken guys
  • I have done them both ways and I prefer the "beercan" chicken to the spatchcock. probably only because it's slightly easier? But to each his own. Lots of folks prefer to do spatchcock. I no longer use the beer can but instead use a vertical roaster. It's a lot more stable.

Removing a falling-apart chicken from the grill with a half-full beercan stuck to it's butt can get quite tricky. On more than one occasion beer was spilled on the coals and when it happens, the can is too hot to pick up with your bare hands. You have to put down the chicken and use the tongs to pick up the can, which is probably empty by the time you get to it.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,453
    Rod,
    Nice yard birds and good lookin potato fans!
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    goodfriday006.jpg