Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru Controller

Options
Gzmogator
Gzmogator Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking into getting a Guru controller and wanted to know the opinion of the eggsperts. Any suggestions or comments?

Comments

• Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    I am in the process of getting one too. From all accounts they work great on the egg. Make sure you purchase one specifically designed for your egg. I beleive the Naked Whiz site has a good tutorial on the Guru.
    Google the Guru and BGE and you will get reviews/opinions.
  • Gzmogator
    Options
    Thanks for the info. You made up your mind yet? Looks like I can spend a fortune and still not know what I have.
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    Steve I would highly advise that you do your homework/research on the product. I am currently trying to find a local supplier of the Guru. If this does not fit the bill, then I will order through e-bay. As previously posted make sure you get one specified for the BGE as it has the proper fan and panel attachment thingys to fit the egg.
    If you are doing over-night cooks then i would not hesitate to purchase.
  • Gzmogator
    Options
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The DigiQ II does just about anything you need to control a cooker. I upgraded from a Pitminder to the DigiQ II in October last year. I use it quite a bit and never have a problem with it.

For the large or XL egg get the 10cfm fan. I also got the extended length cables, but not sure that was really necessary,

If you are unsure what you need call the Guru folks, they are very helpful.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I bought the DIGIQ2 and love it. Real easy to learn and set up. Others like the stoker for remote and other features that seem to complicated for a computer dummy like me. Thought it seemed pricey untill i got it and used it. Worth every penny.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    How long of a plug in cord does the Digi Q 2 have with it? Can you plug it in to an extension cord? I am getting near the "PURCHASE" :laugh: of a Digi Q 2 an I am just curious....
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    6 ft I think is standard but I've never unrolled it just bring the extension cord to it. Thinking of adding outlets to the table.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    I bought my Competitor model about 2 1/2 yrs ago, and love it. I only use it for overnighters now, but it's worth every dime.
    The Digi models are newer, so I can't comment on them. But I don't seem to read many posted complaints .
  • lisaaron
    lisaaron Posts: 12
    Options
    Bought a DigiQ2 last week and cooked my first butt (overnight) on it the day after it arrived in the mail. Simply put: it worked flawlessly!

Well worth the money if you like low and slow.
  • Gzmogator
    Options
    10 CFM fan with yours I assume. I am getting closer to a decision. Thanks
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    10 is the best choice. You can always throttle it down with the slide vent.
  • Gzmogator
    Options
    Thanks for the info
  • lisaaron
    lisaaron Posts: 12
    Options
    Yeah, I have the 10CFM fan, and I'm using it on a Medium BGE. I've been throttling it down to about 1/4 open for low and slow (probably could close it even more, but this seems to work fairly well) and 1/2 open for cooking at 350 degrees or so. Haven't used it to go above those temps yet...

By the way, I got 21 hours out of a load of charcoal when I smoked the butt last week and still had some left over. DigiQ2 open 1/4 of the way and daisy wheel barely open. Built the fire from large pieces at the bottom to small at the top, and this thing amazed me!

Hope this helps!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Gzmogator,

The Guru DigiQ2 (q2) is a great unit and you will be happy with the choice should you go that way,

Keep in mind the q2 is limited to 1 pit temp and 1 meat temp. read at any given time. Before purchasing I talked with Fred Sr. and was told to get the 10 cfm fan for my large. There is a slide damper on the fans so the air flow can be reduced. I use the q2 on my large and medium. I need to order an adapter for the small egg.

There is another choice also, the Stoker is also available. After getting my second egg I purchased the Stoker also.

The Stoker allows controlling multiple eggs and or multiple meats. Changes can be made from the front of the unit or can be changed from a computer screen.

Both units work great and are simple to use. The Naked Whiz site has a side-by-side comparison of both units.

GG
  • Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil Posts: 669
    Options
    The Digi-Q is supposed to be very good and reasonably priced. I use the ProCom4 model. It is demonstrated pretty well in my recent video, "Cookin' Butts" That I recently posted in this Forum.

Uncle Phil
  • mattk330
    mattk330 Posts: 74
    Options
    I hear they are great. I don't have one but a friend just ordered his. I'm waiting to give him a chance to figure it out.

As others said above, you won't hear many complaints on the DigiQ II.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    If you want one, why wait for someone else. The q2's were shipping since last September.

These things are electronic and at times problems happen with electronics. Mine did have a probem but the BBQ Guru folks went above and beyond in order to get it repaired.

They are a great company and probably hundreds of people would jump in and say the exact thing.

You are not 'plowing new ground here' so there is not much reason to hesitate other than money.

GG
  • RU Eggsperienced
    RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
    Options
    Hi,

I got a Stoker recently. I connected it via a wireless bridge I bought on ebay and was able to control the temp, target temps, alarms etc, from my PC through the wireless Lan on my home network.

I also downloaded some logging software and was able to track the grill temperature and meat temps when I cooked Pork Butts this weekend. You can also extract the data from the temp logs.. The software will also SMS or email you the temps at whatever frequency you want...What a blast..

Ok - this is Geek meets BGE, but it keeps me out of trouble.

I am sold on these features.

Cheers,