Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

broke my smoking plate

Pesqules
Pesqules Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all. I love my big green egg and have never cooked food so good as the BGE does for me. Yesterday after cooking brisket I was pulling out my indirect cooking plate and accidentally dropped it, breaking it into a bunch of little pieces. I am tight on cash right now and was wondering if anyone had any homemade ideas for a plate. I was thinking of wrapping up my grate with some foil in the center to avoid direct flames from hitting. Thanks for your time

Comments

• 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    I use a disposable aluminum pan for a couple of cooks but a pizza pan from wally mart would also work for less than $10..
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    If you have two grids you can use a foil pan or pizza pan as mentioned.

The cost of fire bricks/extra grid if you don't already have one is going to be awfully close to the price of a new platesetter though.

How small are those pieces? You could try repairing it. I found a furnace cement at Lowes that I repaired a firebox with and the rain cap. It works for a while. I'd hate to have a platesetter fail and ruin my brisket cook though.
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    I used fire bricks for years before I purchased a plate sitter.

You can stop by your local store and they will sell you ever how many you need. Or you can find a home being built that has a fireplace and you can usually get a few from the owner for much less.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I use a $4 deep dish stainless steel pizza pan from walmart. I wrap it in foil to catch the grease and then toss the foil.

You can also just build a pan from coil which works good also.

Pick up some JB weld and put your broken plate setter back together again.

GG