Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Results of this weekend's cook

Options
Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looooong day yesterday. Actually started Saturday night and I shut the vents (finally!) around 8PM last night. Here is what went on Saturday night:

IMG_1108.jpg
IMG_1116.jpg
IMG_1118.jpg

Here's what went on yesterday:
IMG_1113.jpg

Everyone enjoyed the company and the food, and nobody went home hungry.

Comments

• AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    Hey where is the finished pics of the ribs. That JH Pecan rub is some good stuff. I need to try some of the Dizzy Pig stuff tho. Nice looking brisket.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Sorry...I wasn't able to get pics of the ribs before they went out to the table. Everyone got started on the pulled pork and brisket, but they were really waiting on the ribs.

Next time, I'm doing the brisket solo with nothing else in the cooker. This was only the second time I've done this on the egg, and the brisket I cooked on Tuesday was much better, since it was the only thing in the egg. The bark was much nicer, in my opinion:

IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0832.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Great looking cook BB and I agree with AG..the JH Pecan is a force to be reckoned with! ;)
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Other than the butt. We had the same meal. Looks good and tasted better I'm sure.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Other than the butt. We had the same meal. Looks good and tasted better I'm sure.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Everybody was saying how good everything tasted, Mike. Again, yet another case for the XL--single layer of food on the grid. (I'm saving my dollars again, and hope to have it by the end of the year...)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Those long of cooks are called "Competitions" :) Nice work Mike. Is that Pecan Rub you have in the back? Can't wait to try my brisket this weekend with it. If it is, what did you use it on?

Mike
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Two briskets in a week is enough to drive any working man nuts with out the ribs. Looks like you came threw with flying color! ;) Like the others, you need 6 lashes for not photoing the ribs but since it was Memorial day and you served we'll let it slide.....THIS TIME! :laugh: Layed off the Egg today and made crab sushi. Wife has her test Thursday and I work days tomorrow so may be a few till I Egg again. Take a break my friend. It looked good.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Mike,

That is John Henry Pecan Rub (giant sized, too--I burned through the first bottle too quickly!) I used it on the ribs, not the brisket. He has another seasoning (Texas Brisket) that I tried out this weekend, but it really wasn't as nice as the rub from The Salt Lick which I bought for the brisket I did earlier in the week.

The Pecan rub has a lot of sugar in it, Mike, so I'm not so sure that it would be the right think for your brisket. It has a bit of a bacon flavor to it...that's probably a pretty good description for it.

Gonna try some DP Cowlick next time.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I would think the high sugar content would burn the ribs more than briskets.
    I like the rub either way.

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Makes me want to move to texas mike. looks like you've been busier than me. I did do a brisket saturday to take to daughters on sunday and went over good. It all looks great Mike but next time let me know ahead of time, you know how expensive those last min. flights are. :laugh: :laugh:
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    where are the sushi pics :S
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    Hey carwash and beanie--the JH Old stockyard is pretty good also. Used it on a pork butt and it has a little kick to it. But I need to order some of the Dizzy stuff that everyone raves about.