Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs - What will happen?

Options
DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've always used my plate setter and a drip pan to cook ribs. With CWM's advice, I've finally got a routine that cooks them just like I like 'em. Trouble is, on my Medium, only two racks will fit with this setup. If I try cooking them direct, which will put them closer to the coals, and stack them vertically on my rib rack, I think I will be able to fit 3 ribs in there. Question is, will it work, and what adjustments will I have to make in cooking times? And, is the difference worth it? I generally use the 3-1-1 method, and while I cook both spares and baby backs, it's mostly baby backs lately. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    throw a sheet of foil somehow under them to make it indirect..... i wouldn't sit the on it, but maybe wrap the underside of the grid.

indirect is indirect, no matter how you achieve it, right?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    That makes sence. I could set my drip pan down on the grid as well, and achieve indirect that way. I think the rib rack will fit down on it just fine. Thanks for the idea. If it all fits, all I have to do is experiment with times, foiling, and temps again.
  • FearlessGrill
    FearlessGrill Posts: 695
    Options
    Another option to think about if you are trying to make more room by getting the food closer to the fire is to rig up something to hold your drip pan beween the firebox and the upper fire ring, so you can put the grate right on the fire ring instead of using the plate setter. I haven't worked with a Medium, so I'm not sure if that would still let you use enough lump for an extended cook. On the Large, I've heard of some people using a smaller Weber grate in that position. You could also make something out of heavy gauge wire to hold it there.

I haven't tried just using a sheet of foil as a barrier for indirect, but I would think that a thin sheet of metal like that would just conduct a lot of the heat straight through.

Just a thought.

-John
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    When you take away the plate setter on a medium, the grid sits down on the top of the fire ring anyway. When you use the platesetter it brings the grid up to gasket level. Set up that way, however, the dome hits the v-rack. I think I've got it now though. By using my drip pan as a barrier (as well as a drip pan) the whole thing drops down enough to clear the dome.
    DSCN0278.jpg
    Gonna cook a rack this way today to see what it does to the texture and flavor, and cook times.

Thanks for the ideas.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    If need be get 4 'S' hooks or wire hanger, cut & bend to 'S' hooks. Get a desposible drip pan poke and 'hang' the pan under the grid.

GG
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Good idea! I'm playing with coat hangers and disposable foil pans now. This will give me even more room inside the dome if I'm smart enough to make it work.

Thanks
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I know its to late for this cook but go to Home Depot or any hardwear store and get a 13- 13 1/2 inch S.S grill.A home made grill extender that works wih the Medium and uses the platesetter. Mine is 13 1/2. And do this:

NEW08022-1.jpg

lid will still shut no problem this hight.
    NEW08025.jpg

Clearance looking in dome and it is height adjustable.
    NEW08024-1.jpg

Proof it works!! B)
    NEW08029-1.jpg
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Thanks

I have one just like it. If fact, I think it was you that inspired me to make it, and I love it, but I'm trying to get the setup lower instead of higher. Trying to see if I can do more than 3 ribs in one cook--using the v-rack stacked vertically.

How many ribs can you cook on your medium?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    lump burns at 1200, even when it is only a 250 degree fire. the direct heat of the lump is blocked by the foil, and the foil won't heat up to 1200.

hold a piece of foil up between you and the sun. you'll still be at whatever the ambient temperature outside is, but you won't have the radiant heat of the sun as well.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I can do two with just the stock rack and four with the double stack set up. I have tryed the v rack with ribs but don't like it. I spray my ribs during cooking with Coke and Wild Turkey and recoat with rub from a shaker. All stay on better flat IMO.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Foil is not going to give uyou indirect.

Mike