Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big casters for small eggnest

Options
GGrillin'
GGrillin' Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw sometime ago on the forum that someone had replaced their small casters with big rubber casters for their eggnest. Any ideas where I might find some?

Thanks!

Gil
Gil Gowing 
Clermont, FL
Large BGE - MiniMax BGE

Comments

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Granger Tools.
    Ace Hardware.
    Home Depot.
  • NooBBQ
    NooBBQ Posts: 134
    Options
    Harbor Freight actually has a great selection.

nooBBQ,
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    not being a smarty *ss here, but you might as well start saving for a new dome - base or both! Putting BIG casters on a small eggnest, let alone on any other BGE in a nest is asking for breakage! The higher up, the more likely a tip over!
  • NooBBQ
    NooBBQ Posts: 134
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    not being a smarty *ss here, but you might as well start saving for a new dome - base or both! Putting BIG casters on a small eggnest, let alone on any other BGE in a nest is asking for breakage! The higher up, the more likely a tip over!

That is debatable, while raising the center of gravity by a couple of inches makes it more tipyy, this is not really a factor unless there is some momentum involved or sudden speedchanges. The "easibility" of larger wheels in rolling over obstacles will easily offset this issue. Most incidents I read about here happen due to small wheels getting caught in big cracks.

FWIW, YMMV,

nooBBQ,
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I put these on one of my larges. The intent was to make it easier to move not to raise it (although it did). I got them at a local fastener dealer.
    I can get the manufacturer if you like.

Steve

Picture003.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    whatever - but the most common problem with ANY size casters/wheels are when a wheel hits an obstruction and the egg is being pushed instead of being pulled. At least when being pulled it will tip toward you vs. away from you.