Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday rib cook

Options
Fossil Frank
Fossil Frank Posts: 285
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did these ribs for 5 hours at 250 dome temp. I sauced them for the last 30 min. I had them in a rib rack at first, but the last 30 min. were flat bone side down on the grill. They were very good but a little too hard to pull from the bone and I guess I used too much mustard when prepping for the rub because at the end the mustard still showed. We couldn't taste the mustard though(which is good). The next time I'm going to use the 3-1-1 method and less mustard. ;)
Frank from Indiana
BBRibs001.jpg
BBRibs002.jpg
BBRibs002.jpg
BBRibsmay08003.jpg
BBRibsmay08004.jpg

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    That first "1" of the 3-1-1 will take care of the toughness issue. In fact, it does it so well that I've reduced it to a 0.75 hour foiled period to keep my ribs from falling apart. These still look darn good, Frank.

I like that rib rack, too...I use an inverted V-rack and I've never been happy with it. This looks perfect.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    The mustard should be light enough to have the rub stick to the ribs. I use very little mustard. I have also found a large amount makes cooking a bit messier. Tongs seem to wipe it away when flipping if too much is used.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    They look good Frank but if I'm not foiling the spares usually go for closer to 6 hrs. Posted the 3 racks I started earlier and will try to post the finished pics. I like them tender with a little pull & wife likes them falling of the bone. Makes for a challenge to cook at same time but love it.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    EGGcellent lookin ribs Frank!!..thanks for the pix! :)
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    cool rack and with that set up you can just add liquid to the drip pan and tent the whole set up in aluminum foil for the "1" and that should solve your problem.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    They still look good to me. ;) Remember 3-1-1 is a guide line. That is how I do my babybacks but if I did full 3-1-1 they would be DRY!! When they start bending and breaking pull'em. Resist the urge to cook longer or they will dry out. I cut the 3 short. Usually 2 hrs as I can make up differance at the end if need be. Thats just me. Every one has there ritural!
  • Fossil Frank
    Options
    Jeffersonian
    Sorry to be so slow in responding, I've been outside a while. I was thinking of shortening that first "1". Your suggestion helps me make up my mind.
    The rib rack came from a Menards store, I don't remember what it cost, but it was pretty cheap.
    Frank
  • Fossil Frank
    Options
    Crimsongator
    I found that to be the case when I used the tongs too. I'm looking forward to my next rib cook already.
    Frank
  • Fossil Frank
    Options
    Flapoolman
    I was wanting to avoid the foil method, that seens like a lot of trouble. If foiling becomes too much of a bother I'll go 6 hours on them.
    Frank
  • Fossil Frank
    Options
    Eggttucky
    Thanks! I've enjoyed a lot of your pix too.
    Frank
  • Fossil Frank
    Options
    Slotmercenary
    That sounds like an easy way to to do the foil period. I'm going to try it Thanks for the idea.
    Frank
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Thanks, Frank, I've been shopping for it online since I saw your pic.