Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To soak or not to soak

Options
Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
gonna be doing my first egg boston butt in a couple of days and was wondering if I should soak my hickory chips in water or not. Also , do I just randomly mix them in with lump or is there a method. Any thoughts? Thanks

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I prefer to use dry chips or chunks.I just throw them in and mix with the lump a little.For shorter cooks,I just throw them on top of the lump ;) For the butt,make sure that the temp is stable at 250*.It seems there have been alot of ruined butts this week because the fire died overnight ;)
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    Thanks Doug! It seems I hear alot about making sure I hold the 250. Seems from what Ive read this gives you probably a 200 to 225 temp @ cooking surface. Thanks for the response.
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    Im also going to opt for the all day cook instead of overnight so I can keep closer eye on my first butt. Ive smoked alot of butts overnight on other equip but Im sticking to just daytime till I learn the Egg.
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    That's a great idea.The last 2 or 3 that i've done,I did during the day.The last one I finished at 10:00 PM.After the rest,I pulled it at midnight :pinch: I should have started earlier :)

009.jpg
  • NJ-GrEGG
    NJ-GrEGG Posts: 171
    Options
    I soak the chips for a half hour, drain and wrap in a papper towel to grab the excess moisture. After that I just springle them onto a well established fire.

If this is the first time doing a long cook, make sure you load the lump correctly. Hand place all the large size pieces of lump on the bottom. This will help keep the vent wholes open. Then layer all the medium pieces on top the large. After that you can let the smaller pieces fall as they may. Fill up to the middle of the fire ring.

Light the lump in three places and let the Egg settle at 250F for one hour before you put the meat on. You should have no problem keeping the Egg going for 16 hours and beyond with little intervention.

I cooked an 8 lb boston butt on Friday. Total cook time 15 hours.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I use to soak but baqsed on forum discussions I no longer do it. Saves time and smoke flavor is still there
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Doug i notice you do not use a drip pan or cover the plate in foil. Is there a reason?
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Hey John,no reason,just lazy.I also have not found a drip pan to fit the XL yet.There is only an inch or so with the pate setter.I am looking for a round cookie sheet or something.I do not like to put the plate setter under the fire ring.It takes away lump space. ;)