Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long for small butts?

Options
acertain
acertain Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a pair of 3.5lb boneless butts in my XL, separated by a lot of space. They've been on for almost 7 hours and they are still hanging out at 155 degrees (for at least the past 2 hours since I started checking). I was counting on 7-9 hours of cook time. I know that a lot of people cook much larger butts and that the 2hrs/lb may not hold so well for smaller butts. What I'm curious about is what other people's experience is cooking this size cut. Am I going to be pulling it off at midnight and eating it tomorrow? Not the end of the world, but I'd better start planning tonight's dinner if so.

Thanks.

Andrew

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Are you running a 250 dome temp? If so, I would think they'd be much higher than 155 after 7 hours. -RP
  • acertain
    acertain Posts: 24
    Options
    I was cooking it right at 250 for the first 5-6 hours, but when it was still pretty low in temp I put my Thermapen on the grate, shut the lid until the the temps stabilized then opened it again and looked at the temp. It read 214, so I opened the vent a little more and now the dome says 270. I suppose it's possible my dome thermometer is 10 degrees or so out of calibration.

Sounds like conventional wisdom says my original time estimate was probably good, but maybe my temps were too low.

Andrew
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I've had larger butts (6-7 lbs) stay on 165 degrees for four hours without budging. That is the plateau temperature were the collagen break down and imparts its heavenly goodness. A nice butt is hard to find, a good butt takes time. :lol:
  • dougemsmacks
    dougemsmacks Posts: 152
    Options
    I was just wondering how long myself as I am cooking my first butt for sunday late lunch. I think I am am putting it on at 11:00 tonight, mine is 4# and I don't want to have it done long after the company is gone. I have done whole picnics before and I have had them done at about 14 hours for 195 deg. After reading so many posts on butts going for longer there may be a difference in the fat content and breakdown. I guess we will both find out soon, good luck.
  • dougemsmacks
    dougemsmacks Posts: 152
    Options
    7:45 the next day and now I am cooking ribs (flame went out) I hope yours went better :)