Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot tubbing question

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Besides steaks, what are the effects of hot tubbing say, chicken legs or breasts? Lamb or pork chops? A pork loin?

It hurts too much for me to think about these things so I come to you folks for my answers. Thanks

Comments

• 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    I think that this process is used for cuts that you are going to cook fast and hot but want the interior to be a different temperature.

Given the that other cuts that you discuss should not be cooked to a medium rare, skip the hot tub.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    one thing that slow heat does is accelrate enzyme action. one of Cook's Illustrated's points about slow-roasting beef and then searing at the end (as well as hot-tubbing) is that prewarming for a longish time at a warm temp will help the enzymes break down muscle fiber, and produce many of the same flavors they do when they age. you won't achieve the same exact thing, but it will improve the meat.

i suppose you could try it for any meat, but as 407bge mentioned, you may not want that chicken breats to hit the grill already warmed up, because it might over cook as you wait on the skin.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Slap on the forehead and doh!

Thanks, now you understand why I come here for information. I wouldn't have thought far enough into the process to realize the chicken, especially, needs to be cooked throughly.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    surprisingly, chicken thighs are not unsafe below 180 or so. that's merely the temp at which most prefer the texture of the meat. reading between the lines at the USDA site, and some (reputable!) studies on line says as much.

breast meat doesn't firm up til about 150/155, but it is safe at 140....

i know, i know. stike's an idiot. that may be true.
    but so is the part that chicken is technically done (in terms of 'safe') at 145-ish. just might not be palatable.

same for pork, which we tend now to accept, though many are still dealing with years of being told to cook it to 160+. and for some reason, we never question beef....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante