Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butts!!

Options
AlwaysGolf
AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put two butts,(one about 9lbs and the other about 8lbs), on the egg last night at about 2030, dome temp at 250 checked at 2330 before I went to bed, was holding steady. Checked again at 0330 still holding steady. Woke up at 0630 and temp had dropped to about 210, decided to check temp of the butts and they were at 180. Bumped temps back up and at 0800 pulled them off at about 205, temp got away from me a llittle as I was getting ready to do yard work.

Good thing is that one is for me to take to the wifey at work for her friends, so at least it is ready to go, already packed and wrapped in the cooler. Other is for here to just pull and freeze for other uses.

Was panicked to see them already at that temp so I was in a rush to get them wrapped and in a cooler, so no pics of the after. Will post comments on wifeys friends findings later tonight, she work 12 hour shift today. Maybe she will let me take pics of it when she unwraps it at work :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Cooked chicken for son friends is visiting for the weekend, he said it is the best chicken he has ever tasted. Beer can without the beer can. Wife and I prefer spatchcocked, but wanted to put taters on at the same time so did beer can-less instead.

Comments

• Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Options
    I did two butts yesterday. On at 0700, dome temp at exactly 250* the entire day, off at 1600 with internal temp at 200*. I put in cooler while my Vizsla and I made a trip to the veterinarian. We pulled a couple of hours later, and they were perfect. I used yellow mustard and a thick coating of Bad Byron's Butt Rub. I got the best bark ever, and the interior was tender and flavorful.

Regards to you, AlwaysGolf, and thanks for your service. Remember on this Memorial Day holiday the reason for the holiday.

Bevo (Colin in Austin)
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Thank you.

I haven't tried yellow mustard on anything yet, may try it one of the slab of ribs I do on Monday as a test.

Butts are great. A nice hunk wanted to stay on the grill when I pulled them off. Took all my will power not to eat it. :)
  • Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Options
    I use a very THIN coating of mustard. Basically, just enough to let the dry rub adhere to the surface, but not enough to impart a mustard taste.

Bevo (Colin in Austin)
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Update--those women (and a couple of men) really can eat. Took butt to her worksite at 1200, she said it was gone by 1500. Wife said they really enjoyed it althouh none of them had any idea of what an egg is except for the one in the fridge and the ones they deal with (L& D nurses). I think the first time I did butts at the house with 15 pounds of butts I had almost half left over but then again we had tons of sides and appetizers plus spatchcocked chicken.