Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easy Steaks

Options
Jersey Doug
Jersey Doug Posts: 460
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first attempt at steaks on the egg. The local Acme had some nice boneless strip steaks for $6.99 a pound. I bought two - about 10 oz. each.

I put the tall GrateMates in the small, rebuilt the bed of lump for a nice hot fire, lit the starters and put the cast iron grate down on the fire ring. When the starters burned out I closed the top and let it run with the draft door and the daisy wheel wide open.

When the temp got up to 550º I put the steaks on the cast iron grate and closed the top for 2-1/2 minutes. Then I flipped the steaks and let them go for another 2-1/2 minutes with the top down. The draft door and daisy wheel were wide open the whole time.

After the 5 minutes of combined cooking I removed the steaks, put the cold porcelain grate on the GrateMates, put the steaks back on the high grate, closed the top and almost shut both vents. I let it go for another 5 minutes at which point the Thermapen showed 135º so I took the steaks off the fire and and let them rest another 5 minutes. They were a perfect medium rare with nice grill marks and the whole cook was very very easy.

--Doug

Comments