Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Possible ET73 Mod to increase range?

Options
Krusty
Krusty Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was searching the web for information on the ET73 and came across this forum post that has information about a mod that can be done to the ET73 to increase it's range. I read through the first couple pages and it sounds promising, but I haven't yet read through all 12 pages to know for sure. Has anyone here tried this to see if it helps?

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1780069052/m/7290051153/p/1

Comments

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I posted the same link six months ago no had tried it. I am ready to throw my ET-73 out due to the poor range and fried probes. I'll open it up tonight.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Great.......
    I just rec'd my brand new ET-73 in the mail today. Was hoping to get 100ft thru just one wall.
    Are probes being fried at temps under 400deg?

Ron
  • Krusty
    Krusty Posts: 77
    Options
    I have not had a problem with fried probs. I hottest cook that I have used it on is 350 degrees. I usually fold some HDAF around the probe wire that is inside the egg. Don't know if that helps or not, but I do it based on recommendations from others.

My only complaint with the unit (other than the flimsy on/off switches and their location) is the range. I am able to get it to work thru one outside wall (with a window) and a range of about 35 feet. But, it won't work to my bedroom which is about 60 feet away and thru an outside wall.
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    I have the ET-73 and have no range problems at all. It works through 5 interior walls and up to 100' away (never tried to go further), even when I set the receiver beside my microwave, computer, monitor, TV, etc. Your results may vary based on many factors including how many other electronics devices, wires, appliances, walls, etc. are operating in your home and the surrounding area. You can't blame a product for third-party factors so if it doesn't work for you then chances are that most other similar wireless units won't work well for you either unless they use a different frequency or antenna system. The majority of reviews on Amazon, this forum, and the web are positive for this product so you might want to check around your home for other items which are introducing interference. Test the range in a few other rooms or homes in different areas just to see if it is a problem with the unit.

Initially I didn't like the switch being mounted inside the battery compartment of the transmitter however this makes the unit virtually waterproof which I feel is a worthy trade-off. I mainly use the ET-73 for low'n'slow cooks where the unit is outside for up to 24 hours so it is prone to get splashed with rain, snow, or even BBQ sauce and drippings. Ideally they would replace the small switch with a rubberized sealed switch which could be moved to the outside without compromising the weather resistance, however I can live with it as-is. The switch on the receiver is easy to reach and use although it does feel a little flimsy. It hasn't broken yet so I will be satisfied as long as it lasts at least 5 years. Time will tell. Overall I feel the product is well worth the price and a good value.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    same as mine, about 30 feet thru a single pane glass window. the alarm is loud enough to wake me from across the house so thats fine with me. no foil and a few years on the origional probe.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it