Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Forum Features

Options
Citizen Q
Citizen Q Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wow, an entire 6 hours of posts on just one page!!! Another great enhancement for our forum viewing pleasure.
Which one of these silly smiley things is the one for "wicked sarcastic"?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    see the sticky post at the top of this page...

http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=448221&catid=1

WMK and I are working hard to get the new template deployed...

Depending on the size of the index page, it can take a while (not that long, but noticable) for your browser to render the page... we're working on some ideas of how to make this more efficient and provide a better user experience.

Feel free to make suggestions...
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    this feature still works.
    [code]CQJETS.jpg
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    While this suggestion may not have anything to do with that particular problem....It would a "wonderful" feature if posts marked "read" were a server side feature rather than a user cookie....I personally, and I assume MANY others also, read the forum at work and at home...therfore posts I read during the day aren't marked "read" when I get home.....It would certainly be nice to access the forum from anywhere and have ones own login identify what they have already read...pretty sure WMK said that this feature was available...
  • eafo
    eafo Posts: 96
    Options
    im quite the noob....but is there any reason we arent using something like phpbb here? or even vbulletin or invision?
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Well whaddaya know, we've got a "Complete Retard's Guide To Photoshop" feature on this forum!!!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I've suggested vbulletin a few times :whistle:

The reason is that many of the folks here prefer the old forum format. This software supports that "classic" view as well as gives more modern features.

The best solution I'm afraid is to ditch the whole notion of a "classic view" and just jump forward a decade or two. Having thread titles as what is loading on the page has to be a whole lot more efficient than the tree'd posts.

I'm not a programmer but I'm aware of the frustration. Piles of work and time into a project to hit a dead end.
    File it in the round circular file and move in other directions.

There work is typical of those behind the scenes. Thanksless by many, over criticised, and pure drudgery, but overall the masses appreciate the result.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    thanks man (i think!) :)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    Citizen Q,

If it isn't a complaint about the length of the index (too short), then it's a complaint about how long it takes to download it. As is always the case, just can't please everybody.

I've found that the shorter index pages load almost immediately (at least when the network is working properly -- unlike this morning). And, the length is now actually the original default for the more "modern" forum software (i.e. I bumped it up by a factor of four to make the "classic" index look more like the original one). Most other forums I've seen a) don't have "classic" view at all; and, b) don't display so much information in their main "index". Many show just 10 - 20 posts; so, as already indicated, there's just no way to please everyone.