Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table plans

Options
Smokin' Todd
Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Im planning on building a table for all my food preparation outside.
I see that some of your tables have some kind of cutting board/granite, ect.. laid where they are even with the surfaces of the table tops.
What kind of tool is used to dig into the wood to achieve this?
Thanx,
ST

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    On my table, I left a hole in the top. Then I put some cleats around the edge of the hole at the appropriate depth so that the tile was just above flush with the top. You can see all the steps in my webpage:Building The Table Look for Episode 12 in particular.
    The Naked Whiz
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I built my table the cheap way.I used PT lumber but any type of wood would work.I then layed the tiles on the table and traced them on the wood top.Then I used a router to sink the tiles flush with the wood.I had to chizzle the corners,but it was very easy :) If you look at the pic,the table to the right has 6 floor tiles flush mounted.This is an easy to clean work surface.I layed them in without any addhesive,and used silicon to fill the joints.

019.jpg
  • Smokin' Todd
    Options
    flushing is what I would prefer to do. This is the 1st I ever heard of such a tool.I just googled and by the looks of it it looks like my circular sander.
    How exactly does it work? And by the price looks like i would rent one from my local Ace.
    Thanx for the info.
    ST
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Todd,

You can buy a decent router for about $50 and up at any home improvement store. Buy a decent name brand and get one with a higher HP rating and RPM capability. The bits tend to cost $10-$15 ea (and up for specialty bits). You can buy a nice router and a few bits for slightly more than you would pay to rent one for a few days, and you'll likely need to buy the bits either way.

They are an invaluable tool once you learn to use one.
  • Smokin' Todd
    Options
    sounds great, but how does it work?