Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Photo of lump left after 20 hours of 220 degrees

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
lump.jpg
<p />Here is a photo of how much lump was left after 20 hours of cooking. The fire burned to the back of the egg. I wonder if it would have burned around the sides to the front. To see what the initial level of the lump was, look at the left of the photo, which is the front of the egg. The lump was at this level all the way across.[p]TNW
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Wow! That is one of the coolest properties of the egg. The way these things conserve lump is really amazing.[p]Nice job on the butt, by the way. Happy 4th!
    Cornfed

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    That never ceases to amaze me! I just completed a 17 hour cook at 250º and I'll bet there's more than half of my lump left! Large pieces on the bottom ...etc.
    Mine burned to the right side and down.[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    lump1.jpg
    <p />The Naked Whiz,[p]Pictured is my leftover lump left after a 20+ hr cook (old photo, not as good as yours). In my picture you can see I already stired the ash out and what you see is the lump left and ready for the next cook (I added some to bring up the level past the holes in the firebox before the next use). Your picture makes it look like you have a lot left, but I have never filled my cookers up past the firebox. Not that you shouldn't, but just that I have never needed it.[p]I wonder if the fact that the outside temps here in NC are near 95° (a cooler 85° here at the coast) helped you conserve some of that lump. I think I could do a load of jerky without a fire today!! Talk about efficiency! [p]Stay coooool.[p]Tim
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Tim M,
    As this was my first cook, I didn't want to run out, so I loaded the egg up as high as I thought it would go without interfering with the plate setter. Next time, I'll probably use less.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz