Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I couldn't wait. Cooked on the BGE for the 1st time tonight

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My large BGE came yesterday and by the time I had it assembled, it was too late to cook on it. I was going to wait until next Monday since we're leaving for the ocean tomorrow morning and will return on Sunday. As I looked out the window at it today, it was silently shouting at me to bring it on a test drive. I was fairly giddy with anticipation and couldn't wait any longer. I started out just cleaning the outside of the grill and the porcelain grate with soap and water and then decided to fire it up.[p]I ran up to the local QFC(supermarket) and bought a pound of ground chuck, made 2 burgers rubbing one with Ken Stone's gilded splinters which just happened to come in the mail today and the other with John Henry's lemon pepper with garlic using a recipe from Roger in Charleston called Dad's Delicious Big Green Burgers. I want to tell you those burgers were outstanding, with hardly any shrinkage and juices running down our chins. My new gas Weber(don't ask) always dried out burgers and left them tasteless.[p]While I was at the QFC I noticed they had steaks on sale so I bought a 1 1/2" to 2" thick porterhouse figuring that since I had the BGE up to 750 degrees for the burgers I might as well throw the steak on just to see how it would come out.[p]First I rubbed down the steak with Char Crust's original Old Hickory seasoning on both sides and let it sit at room temperature for 45 minutes with a little olive oil rubbed in on top of the rub. I cooked it 3 minutes on one side @ 650-700 degrees, 3 minutes on the other side, closed all vents and dwelled it for another 3 minutes.[p]It was positively outstanding. My wife said it was the best steak she had ever eaten, which was great praise considering she wasn't very happy with me after buying a new Weber two weeks before(don't ask) and then turning around and buying a new BGE. As I left the table to head outside, she was busy gnawing on the bone and I thought I heard some low level moaning.[p]As it turned out, I cooked both the burgers and the steak 2-3 minutes too long. They were closer to medium than medium-rare. I'll definitely change that next time. All in all, I couldn't be happier with the BGE and I look forward to many more memorable meals, the next time with good friends around the table to heighten the experience.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Paul B.,
    Welcome to the Cult of the Egg.As you know by now, there's a learning curve that you can accelerate by coming to the Forum with your questions.
    Again, welcome, and eat well!

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Paul B.,
    I'm sure you would have felt the same urge no matter what cooker you bought. A new cooker calls to you. Congratulations on having the sense to give in and have fun![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Paul B.,
    I was wondering if you'd cave in...couldn't see how you'd wait a whole weekend to give it a little test. So, results were great and you think you overcooked. That just shows what's ahead for your taste buds! Welcome!

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Paul B.,
    I bet you could sell that Weber, too, as popular as they seem to be. Just don't sell it to a friend and then invite them over later for a cook on your BGE! Best to sell it to some unsuspecting stranger . . .

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Shelby,[p]And if his new "habit" gets out of control, is somebody running a 12-step program somewhere?[p]CB
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Paul B.,
    Warning! Cooking on a BGE can be habit-forming! At least that's been my experience. (And a 12 step program? Got one: the 12 steps from the beer cooler, aka icebox, to the Egg!) Welcome to the ranks.
    Glad the rub got to you in time for your maiden voyage. For a real treat, put a dab of the Big Chief on right between the burger and the onion!

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I mix your Big Chief sauce into the hamburger mix along with bell pepper,onion and easy life rub. Great hamburgers.
    Cheers,
    New Bob