Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DirectIndirect Cooking

Options
Hammer
Hammer Posts: 1,001
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For the benefit of our new forum members, who may be to scared to ask. I am asking the eggsperts, particularly Tim M, GFW, Smokepig, and others to tell them the difference and advantages between direct and indirect cooking.
I know there is a wealth of information out there, and the eggsperts need to share.
Hammer

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Hammer,
    I just did 4 racks of bb's direct (owing largely to being too lazy to clean up for a good indirect) They were great, but not as moist as I get when I go indirect.

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    Hammer,[p]A lot could be written on the direct/indirect subject, but I'll try to keep it short and to the point.[p]DIRECT heat - is for hot and fast cooks. The meat is getting heat DIRECTLY from the coals. You'll need to flip the meat constantly (steaks, hamburgers, hot dogs) to ensure that all of the meat gets cooked.[p]INDIRECT heat - is for low and slow cooks. You'll have a device (fire bricks, plate setter, pizza stone) that deflects the heat from the coals, to give the "oven" effect, that surrounds the meat, which eliminates the need for turning. You use this method for roasts, pork butts, tenderloins, briskets.[p]I hope that is what you're looking for.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Hammer,
    David gave an excellent answer. Also with the indirect, because the cook is a longer one, you get more of the smoke flavor in the meat.

• Unknown
    Options
    Hammer,
    DaivdR says it all. I really don't have any thing to add to it.